Return to Results
Minor crease marks.Columbus, Ohio: June 12,1857. Esther Institute was the Columbus, Ohio's first girls' boarding school. It was founder by Lewis Hely in September 1853. The faculty at the school included Agnes Beecher Allen (1831-1919), niece of Harriet Beecher Stowe. The item is a program for the June 1857 Commencement Exercises. It is printed on a single sheet of hounds tooth watermark paper with an engraving of a garden with a globe in it. It was closed in 1862, due to the American Civil War, at which point the building itself was used as a military hospital. After the conclusion of the war in 1865 it was reopened as Irving House and then eventually became a parish house for Trinity Episcopal. The building itself was demolished in 1916. Measures 10" x 8"