Haverhill, MA: April 1, 1845. A legal agreement between three men, Edward J. Smith, James Woodman and Edwin Morse for the construction of a two family house on Main Street in Haverhill. While no state is ever mentioned in the contract, it can be supposed that it is Haverhill, MA, as according to the 1850 census there are three men with the same names living in or around Haverhill, MA. The contract fully details out the requirements of the house, from specific sizes to materials used. For example, the cellar was "to be stoned 5 feet deep and 2 feet thick and to be pointed and leveled outside, the underpinning of the house to be brick." Morse was to build the house by September 1, 1845 and front the cost of the supplies. Smith and Woodman were to pay $200 to Morse by June 1st, 1845, and the remainder, approximately $600, upon completion of the house. As collateral, Morse would hold on the land deed until such time that payment was made in full. All three men signed the contract. Single page, double sided. Measures 12 1/2" x 8" General wear, and letter folds.