The Richard Gundry Home, A Circular
The Richard Gundry Home, formally known as the Harlem Lodge, was established in 1891 to treat a variety of mental and nervous disorders, as well as exhaustion or addiction to alcohol or opium. The Home was named in memory of Dr. Richard Gundry, Sr. (1829-1891) and was owned by his wife, Mrs. Mary M. Gundry (1838-1908) and their son Dr. Richard Fitz Harris Gundry (1866-1924). Mary acted as the proprietor with her son as the resident physician until 1898 when Mary retired, and her son gained complete ownership. The Home had five buildings, and it prided itself on its modern conveniences, like steam heating and electricity, as well as its many "attractions to divert the mind" such as its extensive library, bowling alley, conservatory, and orchard. The house had the capacity for 45 patients who were in the course of their treatment expected to engage in various outdoor work, such as gardening or sports.Catonsville, MD: The Richard Gundry Home, . A 8 3/4" x 5 1/2" circular with a black and white image from a photograph of the main building at the Richard Gundry Home, surrounded by foliage. Followed by a brief description of the home, its consulting physicians, and a list of doctors who refer to the home. Advertisements for the home started mentioning the "heretofore know as Harlem Lodge" in or around 1910. Measures 8 3/4" x 5 1/2" General wear and toning.