page contents

Join our mailing list!


  Home > Ephemera >

Joseph E. Meyer Indiana Botanical Gardens Product Catalogue. Indiana Botanical Gardens.Hammond ID.[1925]
Joseph E. Meyer Indiana Botanical Gardens Product Catalogue. Indiana Botanical Gardens.Hammond ID.[1925]


 
Alternative Views:


Price: $75.00

Product Code: 29001674

Description
 
128 pp catalogue of herbal based products, creams, compounds, oils, liquids, plain bark, leaves, flowers and seeds. Narrative descriptions including uses ingredients and directions along with pricing information. A plethora of uses from disease, to shampoo and health maintenance. In-text illustrations throughout .  Measures 6 1/2" x 2 3/4".. The history of the Indiana Botanic Gardens, Inc., begins in 1910 with the founding of the company by Joseph E. Meyer. Joseph desired to have a business of his own, preferably something in the printing industry. Giving consideration to his set of skills, Joseph realized that he knew a great deal about printing and even more about nature. A company that sold herbs through a catalog would be a profitable endeavor for Joseph Meyer thanks to his possession of an old printing press and vast knowledge of natural remedies. It was with the blending of these two passions that gave birth to Indiana Botanic Gardens, Inc. The early bindery at Indiana Botanic Gardens, initially called the Indiana Herb Gardens, began in a small cottage in the rear of Joseph Meyer’s Hammond, Indiana home where he started growing and harvesting plants in a vacant lot. In the beginning, the business barely made living expenses for the family. Meyer’s children assisted him with activities like gathering herbs from nearby fields, packaging boxes, feeding the printing press, and binding catalogs with needle and thread.In 1918, the 400-page book, The Herbalist was printed and business expanded. Since the company was now able to sustain itself, it moved from Meyer’s cottage to a more formal and larger building off of Calumet Avenue in Hammond (pictured on the right). The same year that The Herbalist went into publication, Joseph purchased a wild tract of land on the Little Calumet River. The land held a profusion of medicinal plants and virgin forest. In 1926, a beautiful English gabled building was built. This became the home of the newly named Indiana Botanic Gardens, Inc.