The Home for the Friendless Women and Children of the City of Scranton was founded in 1871 after C. R. Mossmann helped a sick and homeless woman on the streets of Scranton, PA, and was moved to do more. Mossmann, along with several other prominent citizens, used their organization to focus mainly on helping the poor woman and children of their city. The organization is still in existence today, but known now as The Friendship House.Scranton, PA: Republican Job Printing House, 1877. The fifth annual report for the Home for the Friendless Women and Children of the City of Scranton. The book starts off by listing the coming year's, 1877, list of officers, managers, auditors, and Advisory Committee Members, before continuing on to the Home's Articles of Association, and By-Laws. Next are the Secretary's Report and Treasurer's Report, which states that "the number of beneficiaries of the Home during the year is forty-three, with an average of about twenty as regular inmates. Most of these are children, some of very tender years, who helpless infancy is the strongest appeal for kindness and protection. There are boys and girls of all ages, and one little colored boy whose quiet, affectionate deposition has made him a general favorite." These reports are followed by the 1876 list of Life Members, Annual Members, Subscription Fund Members, Donors of money, goods, or coal. It continues to to list the Lady Contributions, Medical Attendance, and ends with 1876 list of officers, managers, auditors, and Advisory Committee Members. 22 pgs. Tan printed wrappers. String binding. OCLC 0 (Jan. 2021). Measures 8 3/4" x 5 1/2" General wear and toning due to age.