A sulphur springs was discovered in the area around 1778, and in 1858 the Greenbrier resort was established. The original hotel, called Old White, had numerous additions over the years to modernize it, until it was torn down and replaced in 1922. The company was sold to the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway in either 1910 or 1913. The Greenbrier has played host to numerous US Presidents and Vice Presidents, as well as international diplomats and foreign dignitaries. In the 1950s the US government, in agreement with the owners, built a classified nuclear holocaust bomb shelter under the hotel to be used by the legislative branch of the government. In 1992 the Washington Post revealed the existence of the bunker and it was subsequently decommissioned. It is now used as data storage facility by a private company, though a few of the rooms are available to the public to tour. The Greenbrier resort is still in operation today.Greenbrier County, WV: Greenbrier White Sulphur Springs Company, 1890. An investment brochure for The Greenbrier, a luxury health resort owned by the Greenbrier White Sulphur Springs Company. The resort is located in Greenbrier Country, WV, and was "styled as the Baden-Baden of America" (Baden is a famous spa town in Germany). These company was selling 10,000 shares of stock for $100 each since the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway (C. & O. R.) had plans to build a street railway from their nearby train station directly to the property. Eighty percent of the amount raised would go to the owners and the remaining twenty percent would be put in a trust reserved for making improvements or repairs to the resort. The brochure is divided up into six sections: Purposes of the Company, Description of Property, Holdings of the Greenbrier White Sulphur Springs Company, Proposition, Charter, and List of Improved Properties and Privileges with prices fixed. Single fold, double sided. OCLC 0 (Nov. 2020). Measures 8 1/2" x 5 3/4" (folded), 11 1/2" 8 1/2" (unfolded). General wear.