page contents

Join our mailing list!

You are here:Home > Social & Cultural > Recreation & Camps
Sort By:
Page of 1
Ernest T. Attwell Recreation for the Colored America. The American City Magazine.New York, NY.9710
Ernest T. Attwell Recreation for the Colored America. The American City Magazine.New York, NY.9710
Price: $65.00

An article by Ernest T. Attwell (1878-1949) that appeared in 'The American City Magazine' in 1926. The article is meant to help promote the building of recreational spaces  for African Americans. For this article the term 'recreational spaces' means  local play grounds and parks that children can access as well as camps which African Americans can attend. The first part of the article discusses the current lack of spaces, and the benefits such spaces would provide. The latter half of the article cites specific examples of recreational spaces that were created in the early 1920s. The majority of these newly created spaces are located in Southern states, however there are a few in the Northern states. For example, the Mosley Recreation Center in Chicago, IL. The picture on the top of the first page of the article is from the Mosley Center and features a group of African American Children taking part in an Egyptian scene during a pageant. There are three more images from photographs in the article, one shows children of color playing tennis, and the last two feature a group shots of children after a pageant and radio contest. This is captioned "The colored children did very well in the annual city-wide contest in radio construction, Douglass Playground, Chicago".  The author of the article, Ernest T. Attwell, was an important pioneer in the development of recreational spaces in America, particularly those aimed for use by minorities. 3 pages, double sided, numbered 161-166. Non-related articles and photographs on pg. 161 & 166. more info
Board of Directors for Valeria Home Valeria Home Photographic Brochure. .Oscawana, NY.[1920s]
Board of Directors for Valeria Home Valeria Home Photographic Brochure. .Oscawana, NY.[1920s]
Price: $65.00

Valeria Home was a resort in Oscawana, New York, that provided "unusual opportunities for rest and outdoor recreation", that combined the "forest, hills and lake with the best results of landscape architecture... [to] create an environment which is especially pleasing to those who love the beautiful in art and nature." Featuring only one page of text, this photographic brochures showcases the facilities and grounds of Valeria home, including but not limited to: the dining room, sunken gardens, solarium, tennis courts, and swimming pool. 13 leaves. Printed Wrappers. Arts and Crafts influenced furnishings. Staple binding. Measures 7 1/4" x 5 1/4". more info
 The Raymond Camps for Girls. Raymond Camps for Girls.Raymond, ME.1911
The Raymond Camps for Girls. Raymond Camps for Girls.Raymond, ME.1911
Price: $75.00

The booklet describes the camp and features five (5) images from photographs, plus an applied photograph to the cover depicting a group of girls in a canoe on the lake. There isn't a specification of the age range of girls allowed at camp, but it does state that they would be divided by in groups by age and have one counselor per group. The girls would stay in one of two camps, summer cottages really, called Deep Cove Camp and the Venice, or the girls could choose to camp outdoors for their entire session in tents. There were a variety of activities offered at the camp such as art, music (girls had to bring their own instruments), tennis, basket ball, swimming, rowing, canoeing and gymnastics through a local gymnasium. Additionally girls would receive instruction on sewing, so they could repair their own clothes, and dancing. Lectures on "topics relative to camp life, nature studies, etc., [were] given from time to time". Lastly tutoring for the campers for school was available upon request of the parents, but the booklet stresses that "the design of the vacation camp is to avoid the heavy school tasks, to make the mid-simmer days a time for the storing-up of vigor and energy for the months following." At the end of the booklet is a tear out application for the camp. Lastly, with the exception of the cover, which specifically states the year 1911, every time the year is mention in the booklet it has just has the number "19" with a space after it to fill in the correct year. There is little to no record of this camp existing after 1913. 12 pp. Printed brown wrappers with applied printed photograph. Staple binding. Printed by the Well Printing Company. Measures 6" x 4 1/2".. A booklet for Raymond Camps for Girls, located in Raymond, ME, on the shores of Sebago Lake. About 20 miles northwest of Portland, the camp was established in the early 1900s by Dr. S. J. Plummer and ran each year from July 1st to August 31st, with girls required to stay the entire summer, especially since the camp was only accessible via a short steam boat ride. more info
Recreation Department Pictures of a White Mountain Camp, A Summer Resort Brochure. The Outlook Company.New York, NY.[1910]
Recreation Department Pictures of a White Mountain Camp, A Summer Resort Brochure. The Outlook Company.New York, NY.[1910]
Price: $85.00

Fryeburg-on-the-Saco was a summer resort open from July 1st to October 1st in Fryeburg, ME. While technically it was a summer resort, it was a particular resort that is hard to accurately define. This is something the place recognizes itself, and indeed starts of the brochure with: "A Camp? Perhaps that term describes it as well as any one term can. The fact is that its uniqueness prevents the accurate use of a name which could be applied elsewhere. An assembly, a settlement, a summer school, a family of families -each of these names and a dozen others succeeds in standing for only one side of the life which is pleasantly associated in the minds of many with the banks of the Saco and the shady trees of old Fryeburg." The camp was also home to several organizations such as the Fryeburg School of Method, the Fryeburg School of Theology and the Church, the Maine Chautauqua Union, and the Sunday School Institute and Bible School. The camp contain several buildings, Normal Hall for classes, Grove House for its offices, an auditorium where daily lectures or concerts were held, cottages for the guests, and a dining hall. The camp's drinking and bathing water all came from one well on the property that was fed by a mineral spring. Throughout the brochure are fifteen (15) printed photographs of the grounds, building, Saco River and White Mountains. 24 pgs. Green printed wrappers. Staple binding. Measures 7 1/2" x 6". more info
 Point Pleasant Colony Letterhead and Promotional Material. Point Pleasant Colony.Quincy, IL.[1915]
Point Pleasant Colony Letterhead and Promotional Material. Point Pleasant Colony.Quincy, IL.[1915]
Price: $85.00

Point Pleasant Colony was a summer camp designed for "Ladies, Gentleman, and Children, Conducted According to the Highest Standards". Located in Quincy, IL, on the shores of Mississippi River and surrounded by forests it promoted itself as a retreat for families and individuals. The item is a single fold brochure describing the camp. The front cover is a blank lettersheet for correspondence. Content beings with "You Owe Yourself a Vacation. Get out in God's Green Woods. Breathe the Pure Undefiled Air of the Forests. Get that Hump out of Your Back. Have something to Remember the Summer by Besides the Sweltering City and the Scramble for Dollars and Cents. Grab a New Lease on Life. Just Take One Week and Live." What follows is a brief description of the location of the camp and its facilities. The camp had several bungalows for rent, a small general store stocked with both "staple and fancy groceries", a bathing beach, picnic grounds, and pavilion. The camp also welcomed one day fishing parties and even opened up a "head camp" for duck hunters during that season. The camp tried hard to promoted itself as a welcome retreat from everyday life for the everyday person, stating, "We have no million dollar corporation and do not wish to be confounded with the ordinary type of grafting, money grabbing Summer Camps... Don't be afraid. We will not hold you up for anything... We'll make you have the best time of your life for less than half the railroad fare to other Summer Camps whose fascination lies mostly in their distance." Single-fold, double sided. Measures 11" x 8 1/2" (folded), 17" x 11" (unfolded).. The Camp's tag line - "A Summer Camp for Ladies, Gentlemen and Children Conducted According to the Highest Standards" more info
 Attlean Lake Camps Brochure. Holden Brothers.Jackman, ME.[1930]
Attlean Lake Camps Brochure. Holden Brothers.Jackman, ME.[1930]
Price: $90.00

A brochure for Attlean Lake Camps, a nature resort in Jackman, Maine, on the shores of Attlean Pond. It features twenty-two (22) guest log cabins, most with private baths, that can hold between 2 to 6 people each. The camp has a variety of activities available to their guests such as fishing, hiking, swimming, and canoeing. The camp also features a large dinning hall where a guest can enjoy their meals, or opt for 'to go' lunches. While billed as a family resort, it also calls itself a 'sportsman paradise' as they have stocked the 'lake' with trout and salmon. The camp itself was first founded in 1895, and in 1905 it was purchased by the Holden brothers, Henry Lincoln Holden (1873-1952) and Ruel Evinder Holden (1876-1944). The camp is still in existence today, under the name Attean Lake Lodge, and is run by descendants of Ruel Holden. There is a die cut window on the front cover of the brochure that reveals a black and white image of Attlean Pond. The wrappers themselves are a printed faux wood grain. 33 images from photographs, two of which are full page photo collages. The last page has list of 'General Information' on the camp, such as 'hay fever unknown', 'Reduced Rates for Children', 'Jackman contains two churches', and 'there is a flying field in Jackman confirming to government regulations.' 20 pages, printed wood grain wrappers, staple binding. Measures 9" x 6 1/2". more info
 Camp Tonka'wa for Boys, Juniors and Seniors. .Chautauqua, NY.1934
Camp Tonka'wa for Boys, Juniors and Seniors. .Chautauqua, NY.1934
Price: $90.00

Camp Tonka'wa, pronounced Ton-ka-wa, was an all boys camp in upstate New York. There the boys would spend their summer camping in tents on raised wooden platforms participating in a variety of activities, such as tennis, golf, swimming, boating and canoeing, aquaplaning (a form of water-skiing), nature study, drama, horseback riding, arts and crafts, and model airplane construction. The brochure has fifteen (15) printed photographs featuring the grounds and campers at play from earlier years. At the end of the brochure there is a rip out application to Camp Tonka'wa. The camp rates are listed on the back inside cover ($150 for the whole season, $80 for a half season) as well as the additional charges for horseback riding and laundry. The camp also provided tutoring services as needed, weekly reports, and a small camp store for campers to get a few treats from. 16 pages, including illustrated wrappers. Staple binding. Measures 9 3/4" x 7". more info
 Camp Spaulding Brochure. Young Men's Christian Association.Concord, NH.1923
Camp Spaulding Brochure. Young Men's Christian Association.Concord, NH.1923
Price: $95.00

A brochure for Camp Spaulding, a Christian summer camp for young boys and girls in Concord, New Hampshire. The camp focuses on offering "real opportunities to gain a greater appreciation of the wonders of Nature and a reverence and loving thought for the Great Spirit within and around us." Each year the camp hosts two sessions, one for girls in July and one for boys in August with each week of camp costing $9.00. The brochure features nine printed photographs of the facilities and past campers, and one black and white illustration of a camper's blanket which features a design representing the camp's fourfold law. This 'law' is more like a code of honor, and it was for the 'Stone Face Tribe', a social group within the camp for those who participate in woodcrafting. This code is meant to enforce the more desirable characteristics of fortitude, beauty, truth, and love. This design is also stamped the back cover of the brochure. Also within the brochure is a post card application to Camp Spaulding. At the end of the brochure is a list of 'What to Take' for both boys and girls, as well as information on the camp uniform. This list has been marked up by the previous owner. This camp is still in existence today, but is now operated by the YMCA. 12 pages. Black stamped wrappers. Staple binding. Measures 8" x 5 1/2". more info
 Children's Summer Resort,  Castle Hot Springs Brochure . Children's Summer Resort.Castle Rock Springs, CA.1927
Children's Summer Resort, Castle Hot Springs Brochure . Children's Summer Resort.Castle Rock Springs, CA.1927
Price: $100.00

Self proclaimed as the "Switzerland of American" the Children's Summer Resort was located in small lakeside town in Castle Hot Springs, CA.  The children's resort was run by two boarding schools, Lona Hazzard School in Alameda, CA and Houdd Gibson School in Castle Hot Springs. The schools were both boarding schools for boys and girls from kindergarten to junior high school, in fact they were under the same management, a husband and wife team named Henry W. and Lona E. Hazzard. The advertisement for the resort is a 6 page, double sided, folded brochure that describes the grounds of the Gibson School, and the summer activities the children would participate in. The brochure starts off by stating that the land, Castle Hot Springs, was "fashioned by the Fairies of the Forest", and that this is "not a makeshift camp... [the buildings] are new and in an excellent state of sanitation, fitted with modern plumbing, electric lights, telephone, radio, etc." The flyer continues on to showcase the indoor swimming tank that was filled using the "natural hot and cold water" from the hot springs located nearby. Besides swimming, children could play on a newly installed playground, or play games of "whirl-o-ball, shuffleboard, croquet, tennis, etc." Ironically, that is all the activities mentioned for the children to partake in at this camp, though under the recommended clothing section, it does state that they should bring "hiking clothing". The children who attended this camp did not have to go to either of the two school but had to be of the same "type and character" of the students. The camp sessions where divided into two week sessions, with a total of five sessions throughout the summer which started on June 6th. It cost $25 for each child per two week session. Parents could also attended to 'visit' their children and could stay in separate cottages at the cost of $4 a day. Additionally, the flyer had a brief description of the two schools themselves, also with information on how to obtain a catalogue describing the two schools in more detail. The brochure contains six black and white printed photographs of the camp, two of Lona Hazzard School, and one map of the area.  6 pg., double sided, folded brochure. Printed by Daly-Seeger Company.  Measures 6 1/2" x 3 1/2" (folded), 20 3/4" x 6 1/2" (unfolded).. The town is actually an unincorporated community 3 miles south of Whispering Pines, CA,  that has been known by several names over the years, such as Verdant Vales, Camp Houdd Gibson, Castle Springs, Mills Hot Springs, Noble's Springs, and currently Castle Rock Springs. The Lona Hazzard School was started in or around 1921, and in 1927 after a generous donation from C. W. Gibson, they opened the Houdd Gibson School, named for Gibson's son who died during WWI. The summer camp, which actually  was also used as the grounds and buildings of the Houdd Gibson School during the rest of the year, appears to have been another business venture of the Hazzard's, in order to provide year around boarding for the children attending both schools It appears as though the Hazzard's only ran both this camp and and second school for a year before donating it to the Salvation Army by the summer of 1928, when it was then renamed the Houdd Gibson Camp. It operated then both as a summer camp for underprivileged boys and a resort for "opulent citizens" (presumably to help pay the bills) until a fire in 1944 burned down most of the buildings (Napa Journal Article, Sept. 15, 1944). As for the Lona Hazzard School, there is little to no record of it after 1932, and presumably it went out of business around then. more info
 Camp Woodland, The Green Mountain Camp for Girls. Camp Woodland.Londonderry, VT.1937
Camp Woodland, The Green Mountain Camp for Girls. Camp Woodland.Londonderry, VT.1937
Price: $100.00

A promotional booklet for the fifth season at Camp Woodland, a camp for Christian girls aged six to nineteen - though girls older than nineteen were allowed to attended occasionally. The camp was located in southern Vermont, in a town called Londonderry, nestled in the Green Mountains and bordering an unnamed small lake. The booklet starts with a short poem written about Camp Woodland by a camper from an earlier season (see below for excerpt). It then continues on to describe the many activities the girls could engage in at camp, such as: track and field, swimming, archery, tennis, boating, hiking, horseback riding, orchestra, glee club, drama, and dancing. At then end of the summer the camp would host a closing banquet where awards would be given out, such as the Efficiency Trophy awarded to the Best All Around Camper and the Enrollment Trophy given to the camper who had successfully enrolled the largest number of her friends for camp. Included in the booklet is a list and short biography of current camp head staff, a daily schedule, information on the camp admission process, cost, travel arrangements, camps regulations, required medical examine, list of require articles of clothing, laundry, camp newspaper, visitor policies, and camp store. Additionally, there is a small section dedicated to Kamp Kaaterskill, an affiliated camp for boys located in Pownal, VT. Lastly there is a direct "Word to Girls" which features excerpts from testimonials from both previous campers and their parents extolling on the virtues of Camp Woodland. The booklet ends with quotes and excerpts from poems from famous individuals, such as Calvin Coolidge, John Holmes and Kipling discussing the wonders of summer camps, and outdoor activities. The booklet has twenty-eight (28) black and white printed photographs throughout of the camp grounds and its campers participating in the camp's activities such as swimming and horseback riding. A few of the pictures are head shots of the camp's staff. Camp Woodland itself was established in 1932 and ran until 1949 when it was sold to Abraham Hertzen who reopened the camp under the name of Camp Derry, and ironically appears to have been a camp for Jewish children at that point. The camp remained in the Hertzen family, operating for over fifty years until it was sold in 2004. It is unclear what happened to the property after that. 21 pages. Illustrated wrappers. Staple binding. Measures 10 3/4" x 8 1/4". Below is an excerpt from the poem written by a camper: "God of the open air, Thou who hast made Thy dwelling fair, With flowers beneath, above with starry lights, And set Thine everywhere - On mountain heights, On Woodland dim with many a dream...". more info
 Brochure for New England Music Camp. New England Music Camp.Oakland, ME.[1940]
Brochure for New England Music Camp. New England Music Camp.Oakland, ME.[1940]
Price: $110.00

A brochure for New England Music Camp located in Oakland, ME. Started in 1937 as a nonprofit by Dr. Paul E Wiggin and his wife Nina Wiggin, the camp's goal was to cultivate and refine the musical skills of the youth as well as help to support the physical, emotional, and social well-being of young musicians. The brochure starts with a brief summary of the camp and then continues in more detail regarding the exact nature of the musical education, both instrumental and vocal, provided by the camp. For example, each student a has weekly private lessons, and that they are to practice at least one hour a day in one of the camp's twenty-one practice cabins. There are also a variety of group projects provided by the camp, so that students learn to play as a unit. A 'fully balanced symphonic unit' practices for an hour and fifteen minutes each day as well. Additionally, every Sunday the camp's youth provide outdoor concerts for the locals, family members, and past alumni. Throughout the brochure are printed photographs of the facilities, students playing their instruments, as well as other more ubiquitous camp activities such as swimming, archery, dances, canoeing, and playing tennis. At the back of the brochure is a page of 'General Information', which includes such facts as the camp enrollment (120 campers between ages 12-20), the cost, medical services, and a list of items to bring to camp. Additionally there is a page featuring the camps song, 'By the Shores of Messalonskee', including its score, and a page showing an illustration of Maine and the different routes one can take to get to camp. The camp is still in operation today and is run by the original directors grandchildren. 28 pages. Printed photographic wrappers. Staple binding. Measures 12" x9".. more info
 Camp Rockledge for Girls. National Council of Jewish Women, Boston Section.Glouscester, MA.1943
Camp Rockledge for Girls. National Council of Jewish Women, Boston Section.Glouscester, MA.1943
Price: $110.00

A single-fold promotional brochure for Camp Rockledge for Girls  located on the sea in Lanesville, a neighborhood of Glouscester, MA. The camp consisted of two bungalows, the larger of the two housing the dinning rooms, kitchens, a large living room, and a screened in porch where some of the girls would sleep. The second bungalow, called Overbrook Cottage provided further sleeping quarters. Due to the "modest fees" of the camp, it was run by a small staff and the girls were expected to help by cleaning their rooms, serving dinner, and taking turns dishwashing. The activities at the camp included swimming, fishing, tennis, lawn sports, picnics, beach suppers, hikes, field trips to nearby sites, and stunt nights. The brochure provided a list of items girls should bring, and information on the rates, directions to the camp, and information on where to direct their applications. The rates were by week, $14 per week with $5 extra on the holiday weekends of July 4th and Labor Day, with the board to be paid in advance. The brochure often describes the camp as a vacation camp, and this is reflected in the fact that only girls over the age of seventeen or older could go to the camp, and as such this camp appears to be more of a resort than the traditional summer camp for young children. The camp was run by the Boston section of the Nation Council of Jewish Women, however with the exception of the requirement that all campers must be Jewish, there appears to be little evidence that there was a strong emphasis on religion at the camp. The brochure is printed with blue text and contains two printed photographs, one of the main bungalow, and the other one of a group of girls on the beach. A the base of the last page of the brochure, in red text, it states "NOTICE: It is a Government requirement that all Campers must bring their Ration Books #1 and #2." These ration books were due to shortages at home due to WWII.  This camp should not be confused with a camp of the same name, which was located in Blue Ridge Summit, PA. Single fold brochure. Measures 8 3/4" x 5 3/4" (folded), 11 1/2" x 8 3/4" (unfolded).. The first sentence in the Application and Reservations section reads "Camp Rockledge is open to Jewish women and girls over seventeen years of age". more info
Evelina Reaveley The Tall Pines, A Summer Camp for Girls. Tall Pines Camp.Bennington, NH.[1924]
Evelina Reaveley The Tall Pines, A Summer Camp for Girls. Tall Pines Camp.Bennington, NH.[1924]
Price: $125.00

The majority of the booklet is comprised of approximately forty (40) printed black and white images from photographs of young girls of varying ages engaged in a variety of activities all over the camp's grounds. Nearly every photograph comes with a caption, sometimes a brief few words, and other times several sentences describing the corresponding picture. At the center of the booklet is a large fold out page full of photographs of the campers. The camp itself was located next to Lake George and comprised of a junior play house, recreation house, wooden bungalows for sleeping, dinning room, and kitchen. There were a large variety of activities for the girls to do, such as: arts and crafts, folk dancing and pageantry, boating and canoeing, gardening, nature study, community work, hikes and climbs, horseback riding, camp cooking, canning and 'roughing it', which was when the girls would go camping with no tent (unless there was rain) and sleep under the stars. There was also a variety of sports available to partake in such as: tennis, volley ball, basket ball, baseball, swimming and diving. Campers were required to wear a uniform, "Dark blue bloomers (plaited very full). Middy, white or unbleached. White hat. Red tie. Tan or black shoes and stockings. Sweater, red, blue or white preferred." The camp stressed a well balanced diet, and had dietitians who lived at the camp who were in charge of all meals. Cakes and sweets were not allowed to be sent to campers by their parents. The cost of the camp for the summer was $300 with horseback riding, or $275 without, with some extra charges for special day trips or arts & crafts. A small section in the brochure is dedicated to the Tall Pines Club, a separate camp located nearby for girls over 18 years of age, and there are instructions on how to send away for more information on this club. Also included is a list of current head counselors and staff, several pages of references, with addresses, of families who had sent their daughters to the camp in years prior, and a page of excerpts from parents' letters praising the camp. Lastly there is a tear away application for the camp at the end of the booklet. 45 pg. (including 2 fold out pages), with printed white wrappers. Staple binding. Printed by: F. S. & A. H. McKenzie. OCLC 2 (June 2020). Measures 8 1/4" x 6" (booklet), 32" x 5 3/4" (fold out page).. The Tall Pines Camp for girls was run by the siblings Evelina, John, and Catherine Reaveley, in Bennington, NH. Tall Pines Camp was for girls ages 7 to 18, with a Tall Pine Club for girls over 18, and campers were meant to stay the entire summer, from June 29th to August 31. more info
 Camp Red Wing for Girls, A Camp Yearbook. Camp Red Wing for Girls.Adirondacks on Schroon, NY.1943
Camp Red Wing for Girls, A Camp Yearbook. Camp Red Wing for Girls.Adirondacks on Schroon, NY.1943
Price: $175.00

This booklet acts as a yearbook for the 1943 summer session. As this took place during WWII the summer yearbook starts off with "for all those who have sat upon the big rock and watched the evening descent upon Schroon Lake... we have been very fortunate, we Red Wingites, for even in a world at war we have known true friendship and untroubled hours. Yet we have not forgotten ... A flag raising each morning, in plays we saw on Saturday nights, in the songs we sang in the in the dining hall -- in every small part of Red Wing life ---  we remember the ideals for which our nation now fights. Let there be no mistakes about his -- in Red Wing we do not forget the world. But rather, in living as we do, we known and hold the more intimate aspects of democratic living." It is fitting then that the rock mentioned in the beginning of the excerpt is the same rock that two years later in 1945, camp owner Gordon Mason would stand upon and announce V-J Day (Victory Over Japan Day) to the campers. After this forward, the yearbook continues on to document the summer, filled with all the various events and activities the girls participated in. For example, the daily raising bell, flag raising, clean up and assembly, to activities such as drama, swimming, boating, basketball, tennis, volleyball, baseball, archery, tennis, arts and crafts, chorus, dance, and horseback riding. Each activity generally has at least one, if not several, corresponding black and white printed photographs of the campers, as well as a short, mostly humorous, descriptions or anecdotes. For example under swimming, it has " 'Who didn't check in?' the age-old question... and don't think you'll get into that water before it's answered. The battle-cry of one Irma Davis ... Well, who didn't check in?" Sometimes written in the descriptions are mentions of a camp rivalry between the Winnies and the Tuskies, the two groups campers were separated into to engage in various friendly competitions throughout the summer. The yearbook also includes 'class portraits' of each age group of campers, a few staff portraits and a list of winners from the Red Wing Horse Show, various awards for each sport and activity, as well as general awards for each cabin and best Winnie or Tuskie. The last few pages feature advertisements, a few of which are for local hotels and restaurants for when the parents pick up/ drop off, but the majority appear to have been advertisements made for donations of businesses run by campers' parents in order to finance the printing of the summer yearbook. There are a little over fifty (50) black and white images from photographs of the camp grounds and campers themselves. The front cover of the yearbook is mostly a simple pattern that it reminiscent of wood grain, with the name of the camp, the year, and a small line drawing of a stereotypical Native American young woman in braids with a simple headdress of a single red feather. Comes with original mailing envelope, there is no address on the envelope though, so this might have been an extra summer yearbook that went unused.  40 pgs with illustrated covers. Staple binding. Measures 11" x 8 1/2".. Camp Red Wing was founded in 1918 by Sarah and Gordon Mason. It was an all girls camp, ages 6 to 17, located on the shores of Schroon Lake in the Adirondacks in New York. While girls of all religions came from all over the country to enjoy their summer at Camp Red Wing, the majority of the campers were mostly made up of Jewish girls from wealthy families living in New York City. Camp Red Wing was run by Sarah and Gordon from its founding in 1918 until the 1950s, when after their death it passed to the daughters Ruth Resiner and Doris Henig. In 1957 the camp was sold to Mel and Lois Silver, and in 1963 Adele and J.J. Janovsky came on as partners. By 1974 the camp was being run solely by the Janovskys until it closed its doors after one last summer in 1980. At that point the land was parceled up and sold as residential lots for summer homes. Most of the camp's buildings were either demolished or sold off (the sleeping cabins for example were often moved off the land to other locations), with the exception of the Red Wing Camp's social hall which the Janovskys renovated into their summer home. This camp should not be confused with the Boy Scout camp under the same name in Indiana. more info
George W. Creelman A Collection of Seven Letters on Keewaydin Camp Letterheads from a Father to his Son, during his Freshman Year at Harvard University. Keewaydin Camps Limited Partnership.Lakeville, CT.1931-1932
George W. Creelman A Collection of Seven Letters on Keewaydin Camp Letterheads from a Father to his Son, during his Freshman Year at Harvard University. Keewaydin Camps Limited Partnership.Lakeville, CT.1931-1932
Price: $225.00

George W. Creelman (1872-1951) was the Vice President of the Keewaydin Camps, as well as the Master of Mathematics at Hotchkiss School, a private high school in Lakeville, CT. This collection features seven letters written by him, to his son, Brenton "Brent" W. Creelman (1912-1944), during Brent's freshman year at Harvard University. The letters discuss Brent's courses and grades (he had trouble in Economics), job offers (at Sears Rosenbuck (sic) and the Peabody Museum), various sites his father enjoyed during his time at Harvard (such as the Glass Flowers Collection), Brent's finances and allowance ($50 per 10 weeks), and the updates on their friends and family. Two of the later letters are addressed to a nickname for Brenton, Crelque. The letters are dated from October 1931 to February 1932, and are written on stationary that reflects George W. Creelman's careers both at Keewaydin Camps and Hotchkiss School, however the majority of the letterhead focuses on the summer camp. The top features a small green border of a silhouette of a forest and mountain with the logo for the camps - a moose inside an orange and green triangle - in the center. Below that is the camps director name, John H. Rush, and the locations of the various camps that comprised Keewaydin Camps, three for boys and three for girls. Under that is George's name, title, and address, at the Hotchkiss School in Lakeville, CT. At the base of the letterhead is three scenes, done again in green ink. The scene on the left features a group of boys camping by a shore with tents and one pushing a canoe out into the lake. The center image shows a man on a horse with a mountain vista behind him. The last image on the right shows a group of boys paddling three canoes on a lake. This includes Creelman's camp on Devil's Island, and it is now known as Keewaydin Temagami. Seven (7) single and double sided letters on Camp Keewaydin stationary. Measures 11" x 8 1/2". To view the collection, please click on the following link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/EyqjiUA3eJ8Kfqzw8. The Keewaydin Camps themselves are among the oldest summer camps in America having been established in 1893 by A. S. Gregg Clarke, whose camp nickname was "The Commodore". As the original site for the camp grew to be crowded and as Clarke felt, too near civilization, he gradually expanded his camps to include several different locations, all over American and Canada. Furthermore Clarke also extended the memberships to the camps from men, to also eventually include young boys and eventually girls as well. By the 1920s, the camps were run by a Board of Directors, of which included George W. Creelman, under the name of Keewaydin Camps Limited Partnership. Creelman himself would also serve as Vice President of the Limited Partnership for several years, (during which time the correspondence takes place in). As a Vice President, like many of the man important to the running of the camps, Creelman was given a nickname, the "Colonel". By 1938 the camps were so numerous and the board so large with very diverging interests, that it was agreed upon that they should be disbanded with many of the camps being purchased by individual camp directors or board members. This is what Creelman and his business partner William K. "Major" Gunn did for the camp on Devil's Island, by Lake Temagami (spelled Timagami on the letterhead), which was one of the original camps purchased by Clarke. Eventually Creelman and Gunn would sell the camp in in 1947 to other members of the original board. Although many of the camps under the original banner of Keewaydin Camps folded over the years, those still in business in 2002, reunited under one corporation, the Keewaydin Foundation, and are still in existence today. George Willis Creelman was born on October 1872 in Nova Scotia, Canada to John Dennis Creelman (1844-1898) and Rachel Brenton (1852-1938). He had three siblings Gilmore Brenton Creelman (1877-1967), Arthur Bradford Creelman (1881-1949) and Susan Anna Creelman Place (1885-1981). He married Helen Lousie Douglass (1874-1955) on December 27, 1906, and had three children George D. Creelman (1908-1981), Margaret C. Creelman Nelson (1910-1993), LTJR Brenton "Brent" Welles Creelman. (1912-1944). George attended high school at Cambridge Latin School and received his B. A. from Harvard in 1896 and began teaching math at several private schools, including Hotchkiss School, of which he would eventually become the Master of Mathematics there. He was first on the Board of Directors for Keewaydin Camps, served as Vice President for the camp for several years before purchasing one of  the in 1938 and eventually selling it in 1947. His nickname at the camp was Colonel. He died on December 2, 1951 in Florida, while wintering there. He is buried at Hotchkiss Cemetery, in Lakeville, CT.   Brenton "Brent" W. Creelman, is George's youngest son, and the recipient of the letters. Brenton graduated Hotchkiss School in 1931, and was attending Harvard University at the time of the correspondence. He graduated from Harvard in 1935. In 1937 he was engaged to Miss Bernice Hempel (1913-2002), before breaking it off. In 1940 he married Elizabeth Rollins (1915-2006). Both him and his wife taught at Eaglebrook School, a private middle school for boys in Deerfield, MA. With the start of WWII, Brenton enlisted in the Navy on December 9, 1942, and became an officer reaching the rank of Lieutenant Junior. He was captain of PT-311, a Motor Torpedo Boat a part of the Patrol Torpedo Boat Program in Italy. In the early morning hours of November 18, 1944 while patrolling the waters in the Ligurian Sea (south, southwest of La Spezia, It), Creelman's boat struck a land mine and sank. Only five crew members survived, unfortunately Brenton Creelman was not one of them. Brenton is listed among the Tablets of the Missing at the Florence American Cemetery and Memorial in Florence, Italy. more info