page contents

Join our mailing list!

You are here:Home > Ephemera > Billheads and Letterheads
Sort By:
Page of 1
Joniah Allen Rockbridge Alum Springs Letterhead. Rockbridge Alum Springs.Rockbridge Alum Springs, VA.August 16, 1891
A letter by Joniah Allen written on Rockbridge Alum Springs Grand Hotel Stationary. The hotel was a mountain resort know for its "celebrated waters", or more actually the mineral water found there. The top right of the page has a red engraving of the hotel itself, with a caption below that states "Capacity 1,300 Guests; Gas, Electric Bells, and all other modern improvements. Telegraph, post and express offices all on premises." Below that is long listing of testimonials of previous guests and doctors extolling on the wondrous healing waters a the hotel. Some excerpts are: "I would state that I regard it as one of the most efficient astringent and tonic mineral waters which I have ever employed" and "In truth I know of no waters in Europe or America so rich in medical substances as that of Rockbridge Springs". The text of the letter is inconsequential.  Measures 11" x 8 1/2".
 A Blank Lettersheet Featuring an Illustration of Eastman Place, the Estate of the Late H. G. Eastman. .Poughkeepsie, NY.[1880]
A single fold unused  lettersheet with a black and white illustration depicting the Eastman Place, the home of Harvey G. Eastman (1832-1878) in Poughkeepsie, NY. The image shows a the house in the distance, surrounded by manicured grounds and large trees. There is a stone walkway that leads from the house toward the foreground of the engraving where it meets a short stone wall. A man in a cart pulled by two horses is exiting the walkway at a break in the wall. The lettersheet does date from the 1880s, as the date field found below the engraving is "188_". However, the engraving itself dates back to at least 1870, as it was used in a gardening journal called "The Horticulturist, and Journal of Rural Art and Rural Taste" published in 1870, which featured biography on Eastman Place. Measures 9 1/4" x 6" (folded).. Harvey Gridley Eastman was born on October 16 1832 to Horace Eastman (1807-1898) and Mary A. Gridley (1812-1889) in Marshall, NY. He had several siblings: Cornelia Eastman (1835-1858), and Edward P. Eastman (1842-1866). He married Minerva "Minnie" Clark (1837-1907). They would have one child: Cora Eastman Woodruff (1858-1904). Harvey was an educator who opened Eastman National Business College in Poughkeepsie in 1859. He was elected to the NY Assembly in 1871 and 1873. The was also elected and served three terms as Mayor of Poughkeepsie in 1871-1874, and 1877 until his death.. He died on July 13, 1878 in Denver, CO, after having spent over a month there attempting  to recover from ill health. After his death, his wife would remarry and her last name changed to Gaines. Harvey was the cousin of George Eastman of Eastman-Kodak fame.
 A Letter on The Dipsy Baths Letterhead. .Kennebunk Beach, ME.9379
A brief letter written on a letterhead from The Dipsy Baths in Kennebunk Beach, ME. A printed black and white photograph of the bathhouses with an American Flags blowing in the wind and several cars in front. The letter is written to Hiram from an unknown individual. it discusses a recent town meeting, whose transcript (printed in a local newspaper) was originally enclosed with the letter. Apparently a man by the name of Calder was gearing up for a  fight, and other town citizens were worried that the town would be dragged into a legal battle over the matter. One, by the name of Elmer Roberts, was preparing to start a fund in order to raise money for any possible legal expenses. The note is not signed, it is unclear if this was just a short missive or if a secondary page is missing. The Dipsy Baths are now owned by the Kennebunk Beach Improvement Association (KBIA), and is now called the Smith House, thought the original signs for the Dipsy Bathhouse are still displayed on the outside of the building. Singe sheet, single sided. Measures 9 1/2" x 6". The Dipsy Baths were a full-service private bathhouse built around the turn of the 20th century by Willie O. Littlefield. There beach goers could change their clothes, wash off before and after swimming in the ocean and rent beach supplies like sun umbrellas and beach towels. The buildings contained showers whose run-off went straight into the nearby ocean, 100 changing rooms, a small store and lounge were one could retreat from the hot sun and sip on a cool soda.
R. N. Thomas Illustrated Billhead for Corn Husking Supplies. Corn Husking Supplies.Shenandoah, IA.2837
A receipt from Corn Husking Supplies in Shenandoah, IA on the company's official billhead. Corn Husking Supplies was owned by R. N. Thomas selling a variety of tools and supplies necessary for corn husking. A large portion of the tools he provided were designed and patented by him. The billhead was printed on carbon paper, and this item is the yellow bottom sheet carbon copy. At the top of the billhead are two wonderfully detailed black and white illustrations. Each is of a hand holding a different tool used in corn husking. The two tools pictured are from R. N. Thomas patented designs: Adjustable Twin Spur Husker No. 3, and Scientific Husker No. 1. The billhead is a preprinted form with blanks for quantity and price. The receipt is for an order bought by F. C. Massey of Osborn, OH, on October 7, 1907, and it was paid for on April 26,1908. Single sheet on yellow carbon paper. Measures 12" x 8 1/4"..
Isaac Parker Circular for Susquenhanna Slate with unrelated Pair of Letters Written to Rev. W. Chidlaw . Susquehanna Slate.Slate Hill, PA.February 1859
The item is two letters addressed to Reverend Benjamin William Chidlaw written on a finely illustrated circular. The letters are written on a single page, which has been folded in half, with the first letter written on the inside fold and the second has been pasted onto the backside. What is perhaps most salient about these letters, is the stationary it is written on. The front of this single fold stationary is from Isaac Parker's business, Susquenhanna Slate which is "Equal to the Best Welsh" and located in Slate Hill, PA. It has a beautiful black and white illustration on the top half of the page which showcases the quarry and excavation equipment used to remove the slate. On the bottom, it provides information on the quarry itself, such as that the slate is used for roofing materials and that they are the go-to slate quarry who provides materials for the US Government for roofing public buildings. In regards to the letters themselves, the first is a letter from Isaac Parker, and in the note he states that enclosed is $15.00 to help with Reverend Benjamin William Chidlaw's mission of establishing Sunday schools out west. Reverend Chidlaw worked as a missionary for the American Sunday School Union (ASSU) which was founded in 1824, in order to fulfill its mission for the promotion of Sunday (or Sabbath) schools that would help in the early literacy and spiritual development in children. While the mission first started in Pennsylvania, it soon grew, and began to focus on providing schooling for children in other areas, such as the central west. Reverend Chidlaw was the first commissioned missionary of the ASSU to help in this endeavor. The second letter is from Petre Carter, who sent the donation for Parker to Chidlaw as Parker didn't know where to send the money. Single fold. Measures 8 3/4" x 5" (folded), 10" x 7 3/4" (unfolded)..
 Lettersheet  - Top of Mt Washington with inscription "Tip Top House" Mt. Washington, July 28, 1857. Carew Manufacturing Company.South Hadley, MA.July 28, 1857
An unused lettersheet which features a detailed engraving of the of the Tip Top House, a famous hotel found at the summit of Mt. Washington, in Sargent's Purchase, NH. The engraving shows an active hotel with numerous men on horses and other individuals walking around or playing with dogs. On top of the flat roof of the hotel, a telescope can be scene, which was placed there by the hotel owners in order to create an observatory for the guests to use. There is a caption at the base of the engraving, "Top of Mt. Washington, 6285 feet above Sea Level". Written below that is "Tip Top House, Mt. Washington, July 28th, 1857. The lettersheet itself was made by the Carew Manufacturing Company, a Massachusetts based paper mill and company that was known for high quality writing papers. At the top right of the page is an embossed emblem that states, "Congress, Carew Co." with an image of a Capital Building. Measures 10": x 7 1/2". The hotel itself was built in 1853 and is made from rough cut granite and is a rectangular structure. The hotel, or a reconstruction of it, is still in existence today, and is on the National Registrar of Historical Places and is a part of Mt. Washington State Park.
 Point Pleasant Colony Letterhead and Promotional Material. Point Pleasant Colony.Quincy, IL.[1915]
Point Pleasant Colony was a summer camp designed for "Ladies, Gentleman, and Children, Conducted According to the Highest Standards". Located in Quincy, IL, on the shores of Mississippi River and surrounded by forests it promoted itself as a retreat for families and individuals. The item is a single fold brochure describing the camp. The front cover is a blank lettersheet for correspondence. Content beings with "You Owe Yourself a Vacation. Get out in God's Green Woods. Breathe the Pure Undefiled Air of the Forests. Get that Hump out of Your Back. Have something to Remember the Summer by Besides the Sweltering City and the Scramble for Dollars and Cents. Grab a New Lease on Life. Just Take One Week and Live." What follows is a brief description of the location of the camp and its facilities. The camp had several bungalows for rent, a small general store stocked with both "staple and fancy groceries", a bathing beach, picnic grounds, and pavilion. The camp also welcomed one day fishing parties and even opened up a "head camp" for duck hunters during that season. The camp tried hard to promoted itself as a welcome retreat from everyday life for the everyday person, stating, "We have no million dollar corporation and do not wish to be confounded with the ordinary type of grafting, money grabbing Summer Camps... Don't be afraid. We will not hold you up for anything... We'll make you have the best time of your life for less than half the railroad fare to other Summer Camps whose fascination lies mostly in their distance." Single-fold, double sided. Measures 11" x 8 1/2" (folded), 17" x 11" (unfolded).. The Camp's tag line - "A Summer Camp for Ladies, Gentlemen and Children Conducted According to the Highest Standards"
A. W. Sutton Correspondence on an El Rico Land Company Letterhead which Features an Engraving of Caterpillar Tractor. El Rico Land Company.San Francisco, CA
A letter to a Mr. Peter Goettsch of Nicolaus, CA, regarding payment of his dividends in the El Rico Land Company. Originally enclosed with this letter was check for $400. The letter is on a specialized letterhead, meant for exactly this type of correspondence. The majority of the letter is preprinted with blank sections in order to fill in the date, check number and amount. The letter is signed by the company's secretary, A. W. Sutton. In the background of the letter is a blue screened image from a photograph depicting a single Caterpillar Tractor pulling four large trailers behind it, filled with what appears to be sacks of grain.  Single page letter with corresponding envelope. Measures 8 1/2" x 5 1/2" (letter), 6" x 3 1/2" (envelope).. In the Caterpillar Times, Vol. 35, No. 11, pg. 5 (a promotional magazine of the Caterpillar Tractor Company available on Google Books named Caterpillar Times, Volumes 35-37) in November 1915, there is what appears to be another image, but at a different angle, of this same engraving printed in the issue. The caption there reads "The biggest load ever pulled into El Rico, Calif. Outfit of the El Rico Land Company. Total load - 55 tons, 1300 pounds." There is not much information on the El Rico Land Company, but they appear to have been an investment company/ land colonization company based in San Francisco which purchased land in and around the San Fernando Valley, specially El Rico, CA, in order to encourage people to move there and farm it.
John L. Smith Letterhead from J. L. Smith, Map Publisher with letter re map pricing. J. L. Smith Company.Philadelphia, PA.68
A piece of business correspondence from a J. L. Smith of J. L. Smith Company, map publishers located in Philadelphia, PA. The company created and published maps as well as selling stationary. The letter is addressed to a Mr. Oswald Tilghman, and dated March 8, 1900. At the top right corner of the letterhead is a black and white illustration of a well dressed man pulling down a map on a wall from a roller. On the left side is a list of all the items sold by the company such as: wall maps, pocket maps, historical maps, atlases, globes, spring map rollers, walnut map cases, profile paper, and tracing paper. The letter is regarding a business transaction in which Smith is informing Tilghman, that the quoted price of $8.50 is for maps printed at a quantity of 1,000 or more. The letter is signed by Smith at the bottom.  Single sided. Printed on company letterhead. Measures 9" x 5 3/4". John. L. Smith (1846-1921)  had served in the Civil War in the 118th Pennsylvania Regiment, otherwise known as the Corn Exchange Regiment. After the war he worked under Rufus L. Barnes, another prominent map publisher from Philadelphia, from 1865 to 1868 when he then purchased the business from Barnes. His offices were located at 27 South Sixth St. for the majority of if not all of the time he was in business. Smith was very successful in his business and retired in 1920, but unfortunately died in April 1921 of a heart attack.
Lettersheet with an Engraving of the German Peace Festival . ..[1871]
The German Peace Festival was celebrated all across the US in most major cities (including but not limited to New York, Baltimore, Washington DC and even Honolulu! The festival was to commemorated the end of the Franco-Prussian War. The festival in the cities consisted of large parades with floats, soldiers in uniform, and German singers. The engraving itself takes up nearly the entire front page of the single fold unused lettersheet. The main portion of the engraving shows a parade serpentining the sheet, with a variety of parade floats, squadrons of men on horseback or marching in uniform, German and American flags, and marching bands. At the top of the page are three close ups of sections of the parade.  The first features several men in uniform on horses pulling a float with the Goddess of Victory, Nike, on top. The second features a large marching band with drum major at the front. The last image features another horse drawn float, however the float this time is of a giant top hat. This may or may not be in reference to the late President Lincoln. The base of the engraving is captioned with "Deutsches Friedensfest in Amerika [German Peace Festival in America] 187_". There is no indication as to which city this particular representation of the festival took place in. The interior pages of this lettersheet are lined. Single fold. Measures 10 3/4" x 8 1/2" (folded), 16 3/4" x 10 3/4" (unfolded)..
Billhead for 2 Heads, Julien Ledion, Anatomical Preparations, Bleecker St, . .New York City.1868
A 5 1/4" x 8" billhead from Julien Ledion, Anatomical Preparations, of every description, in Wa, Papier Mache, &c. Osteology.  No. 19 Bleecker Street. Dec 29, 1868.  Addressed toC. Hartung & Co, which I found to be an importer of human hair.   The bill is for 2 heads at $15.50 each.   Before my imagination goes to far, let us assume the heads were bases for wigs manufactured by the human hair importers???.
George Hambrock The Translation of the Adjustment of the Average of the Clipper Ship Messenger, W. Hill. Master, on the Average from Bakers Island to Hamburg. .Hamburg, Germany.March 12, 1872 - April 29, 1872
This document is the English translation of a German document which was the "Adjustment of the Average" for the ship 'The Messenger' which was under Captain Waldo Hill (1814-1888) control and traveled from Bakers Island, MA, to Hamburg, Germany. The trip started on October 12, 1871, with the ship loaded with a cargo of 1241 tons of guano. This was not to be an easy journey, and the Messenger encountered several storms, torn sails and a constant leak in the hull on there journey across the Atlantic Ocean. This leak caused the crew to almost constantly pump excess water out of the ship in order to prevent both damage to the cargo and the ship itself. At one point in order to lessen the load approximately 40 tons of guano was dumped overboard. Eventually the ship made it to its destination, Hamburg, on March 6, 1872, and this document is the official statement of Capt. Hill on the journey over and the calculations of the sale of the cargo , the amount throw over, and repairs need on the ship. This record and calculations were done by George Hambrock, the Official Average Adjuster of the Port of Hamburg in German. The English version of the record was translated and recorded by Edward Robinson, the U. S. Consul to Hamburg from 1869 to 1876. Both his signature and seal are at the end of the document certifying that the English translations matches the original German document. This translation of the statement is written on the letterhead for a United States Consul. It features a rendition of the Great Seal of the United States: the Bald Eagle in the center, with a ribbon in his mouth emblazoned with the text "E Pluribus Unum" (One of many/ One from many), a shield across his breast holding a olive branch and a group of arrows in his claws. This is set on a background of thirteen stars peaking out of clouds in the night sky.  As for the dating of this document, it starts with "the protest made on March 12, 1872",  however the document was signed by the original adjustor, George Hambrock, on April 19, 1872, and signed by the Consul, Edward Robinson, verifying the translation on April 29th, 1872. Single fold, double sided. Measures 14" x 9" (unfolded), 18" x 14" (unfolded). . Captain Waldo Hill was born on August 1, 1814 to James Plaisted Hill II (1773-1816) and Sarah "Sally" Perkins (1768-1856). He had six siblings: Sally Hill (1800-?), Abigail Hill (1802-?), James Plaisted Hill III (1804-1886), Annah Hill (1806-?), Olive Hill (1808-1826), Jotham Hill (1811-?). He married Lorana Hill (1814-1891) in March of 1839 and had five children: Charles Hill (1843-?), Anna M Hill Goodwin Riley (1848-?), Waldo Hill Jr. (1853-1880), Frederic Hill (1856-1900) and Florence L. Hill Roberts (1860-1891). Waldo and his family lived in Biddeford, ME. Waldo was a Sea Captain and Master Mariner, and at least his eldest son, Charles followed in his footsteps, as one the 1870 census his occupation is listed as sailor. Waldo's youngest daughter married Hon. Frank W. Roberts the U.S. Consul to Coaticooke, Canada. He died on at the age of 73 on March 12, 1888.
 Illustrated circular - Chairs and Washstands  -J. W. Mason & Co., Terms, Net Cash in Current Funds. J. W. Mason & Co. .New York, NY.April 22, 1864
A single-fold advertising circular and price list with updated prices  for J. W. Mason & Co., a furniture, specifically, chair manufacturers. A fine woodcut of the exterior of the building with a horse drawn wagon piled high with chairs adorns the top half of the first page. The following narrative stated that the company was raising prices due to "another raise in material costs", but wanted to reassure customers that orders received already received would be filled at their old prices. The interior pages contain the new price list for the various chairs manufactured by J. W. Mason. Some of the types of chairs are: Boston rocking chairs, Prescott chairs, children's chairs, Vail's folding chairs, revolving chairs and cane stools. The company even made cribs, saloon tables and towel racks. Included at the bottom was the cost of boxing the item. Back page is blank. Single fold. Measures 10" x 7 3/4"..
George W. Creelman A Collection of Seven Letters on Keewaydin Camp Letterheads from a Father to his Son, during his Freshman Year at Harvard University. Keewaydin Camps Limited Partnership.Lakeville, CT.1931-1932
George W. Creelman (1872-1951) was the Vice President of the Keewaydin Camps, as well as the Master of Mathematics at Hotchkiss School, a private high school in Lakeville, CT. This collection features seven letters written by him, to his son, Brenton "Brent" W. Creelman (1912-1944), during Brent's freshman year at Harvard University. The letters discuss Brent's courses and grades (he had trouble in Economics), job offers (at Sears Rosenbuck (sic) and the Peabody Museum), various sites his father enjoyed during his time at Harvard (such as the Glass Flowers Collection), Brent's finances and allowance ($50 per 10 weeks), and the updates on their friends and family. Two of the later letters are addressed to a nickname for Brenton, Crelque. The letters are dated from October 1931 to February 1932, and are written on stationary that reflects George W. Creelman's careers both at Keewaydin Camps and Hotchkiss School, however the majority of the letterhead focuses on the summer camp. The top features a small green border of a silhouette of a forest and mountain with the logo for the camps - a moose inside an orange and green triangle - in the center. Below that is the camps director name, John H. Rush, and the locations of the various camps that comprised Keewaydin Camps, three for boys and three for girls. Under that is George's name, title, and address, at the Hotchkiss School in Lakeville, CT. At the base of the letterhead is three scenes, done again in green ink. The scene on the left features a group of boys camping by a shore with tents and one pushing a canoe out into the lake. The center image shows a man on a horse with a mountain vista behind him. The last image on the right shows a group of boys paddling three canoes on a lake. This includes Creelman's camp on Devil's Island, and it is now known as Keewaydin Temagami. Seven (7) single and double sided letters on Camp Keewaydin stationary. Measures 11" x 8 1/2". To view the collection, please click on the following link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/EyqjiUA3eJ8Kfqzw8. The Keewaydin Camps themselves are among the oldest summer camps in America having been established in 1893 by A. S. Gregg Clarke, whose camp nickname was "The Commodore". As the original site for the camp grew to be crowded and as Clarke felt, too near civilization, he gradually expanded his camps to include several different locations, all over American and Canada. Furthermore Clarke also extended the memberships to the camps from men, to also eventually include young boys and eventually girls as well. By the 1920s, the camps were run by a Board of Directors, of which included George W. Creelman, under the name of Keewaydin Camps Limited Partnership. Creelman himself would also serve as Vice President of the Limited Partnership for several years, (during which time the correspondence takes place in). As a Vice President, like many of the man important to the running of the camps, Creelman was given a nickname, the "Colonel". By 1938 the camps were so numerous and the board so large with very diverging interests, that it was agreed upon that they should be disbanded with many of the camps being purchased by individual camp directors or board members. This is what Creelman and his business partner William K. "Major" Gunn did for the camp on Devil's Island, by Lake Temagami (spelled Timagami on the letterhead), which was one of the original camps purchased by Clarke. Eventually Creelman and Gunn would sell the camp in in 1947 to other members of the original board. Although many of the camps under the original banner of Keewaydin Camps folded over the years, those still in business in 2002, reunited under one corporation, the Keewaydin Foundation, and are still in existence today. George Willis Creelman was born on October 1872 in Nova Scotia, Canada to John Dennis Creelman (1844-1898) and Rachel Brenton (1852-1938). He had three siblings Gilmore Brenton Creelman (1877-1967), Arthur Bradford Creelman (1881-1949) and Susan Anna Creelman Place (1885-1981). He married Helen Lousie Douglass (1874-1955) on December 27, 1906, and had three children George D. Creelman (1908-1981), Margaret C. Creelman Nelson (1910-1993), LTJR Brenton "Brent" Welles Creelman. (1912-1944). George attended high school at Cambridge Latin School and received his B. A. from Harvard in 1896 and began teaching math at several private schools, including Hotchkiss School, of which he would eventually become the Master of Mathematics there. He was first on the Board of Directors for Keewaydin Camps, served as Vice President for the camp for several years before purchasing one of  the in 1938 and eventually selling it in 1947. His nickname at the camp was Colonel. He died on December 2, 1951 in Florida, while wintering there. He is buried at Hotchkiss Cemetery, in Lakeville, CT.   Brenton "Brent" W. Creelman, is George's youngest son, and the recipient of the letters. Brenton graduated Hotchkiss School in 1931, and was attending Harvard University at the time of the correspondence. He graduated from Harvard in 1935. In 1937 he was engaged to Miss Bernice Hempel (1913-2002), before breaking it off. In 1940 he married Elizabeth Rollins (1915-2006). Both him and his wife taught at Eaglebrook School, a private middle school for boys in Deerfield, MA. With the start of WWII, Brenton enlisted in the Navy on December 9, 1942, and became an officer reaching the rank of Lieutenant Junior. He was captain of PT-311, a Motor Torpedo Boat a part of the Patrol Torpedo Boat Program in Italy. In the early morning hours of November 18, 1944 while patrolling the waters in the Ligurian Sea (south, southwest of La Spezia, It), Creelman's boat struck a land mine and sank. Only five crew members survived, unfortunately Brenton Creelman was not one of them. Brenton is listed among the Tablets of the Missing at the Florence American Cemetery and Memorial in Florence, Italy.