page contents

Join our mailing list!

You are here:Home > Historical Memorabilia > Schools & Universities
Sort By:
Page of 1
 Body Builder Posters for Coloring, Illustrated by Danny Webster, No. 605. Ideal School Supply Co..Chicago.1932
A set of ten 9" x 12" line drawings of different activities for children to build strong bodies.  They include Swinging, Seesaw, Climbing, Swimming, Jumping Robe, Skating, Leap Frog, Sliding, Rope Climbing and Tug o' War.  Includes asheet with Suggestions for Coloring Body Building Posters.  In original envelope.. Wear to envelope; otherwise fine.  Unused.
 Catalogue of the Officers and Students of Catawba College. .Newton, NC.1900
36pp. Orange wraps.  Includes students and officers, synopsis of courses of study, courses of study, departments of instruction and general information. A coeducational institution founded for the growing demand for higher and braoder education in Western North Carolina, and especially in the Reformed (German) Church.   It includes a Ladies Boarding Hall.  One of the departments of note is the Book-keeping Penmanship and typewriting  established due to the demands of practical life for success in the business world.  Concludes with expenses.  Measures 8 3/4" x 5 3/4". .
 Children's Summer Resort,  Castle Hot Springs Brochure . Children's Summer Resort.Castle Rock Springs, CA.1927
Self proclaimed as the "Switzerland of American" the Children's Summer Resort was located in small lakeside town in Castle Hot Springs, CA.  The children's resort was run by two boarding schools, Lona Hazzard School in Alameda, CA and Houdd Gibson School in Castle Hot Springs. The schools were both boarding schools for boys and girls from kindergarten to junior high school, in fact they were under the same management, a husband and wife team named Henry W. and Lona E. Hazzard. The advertisement for the resort is a 6 page, double sided, folded brochure that describes the grounds of the Gibson School, and the summer activities the children would participate in. The brochure starts off by stating that the land, Castle Hot Springs, was "fashioned by the Fairies of the Forest", and that this is "not a makeshift camp... [the buildings] are new and in an excellent state of sanitation, fitted with modern plumbing, electric lights, telephone, radio, etc." The flyer continues on to showcase the indoor swimming tank that was filled using the "natural hot and cold water" from the hot springs located nearby. Besides swimming, children could play on a newly installed playground, or play games of "whirl-o-ball, shuffleboard, croquet, tennis, etc." Ironically, that is all the activities mentioned for the children to partake in at this camp, though under the recommended clothing section, it does state that they should bring "hiking clothing". The children who attended this camp did not have to go to either of the two school but had to be of the same "type and character" of the students. The camp sessions where divided into two week sessions, with a total of five sessions throughout the summer which started on June 6th. It cost $25 for each child per two week session. Parents could also attended to 'visit' their children and could stay in separate cottages at the cost of $4 a day. Additionally, the flyer had a brief description of the two schools themselves, also with information on how to obtain a catalogue describing the two schools in more detail. The brochure contains six black and white printed photographs of the camp, two of Lona Hazzard School, and one map of the area.  6 pg., double sided, folded brochure. Printed by Daly-Seeger Company.  Measures 6 1/2" x 3 1/2" (folded), 20 3/4" x 6 1/2" (unfolded).. The town is actually an unincorporated community 3 miles south of Whispering Pines, CA,  that has been known by several names over the years, such as Verdant Vales, Camp Houdd Gibson, Castle Springs, Mills Hot Springs, Noble's Springs, and currently Castle Rock Springs. The Lona Hazzard School was started in or around 1921, and in 1927 after a generous donation from C. W. Gibson, they opened the Houdd Gibson School, named for Gibson's son who died during WWI. The summer camp, which actually  was also used as the grounds and buildings of the Houdd Gibson School during the rest of the year, appears to have been another business venture of the Hazzard's, in order to provide year around boarding for the children attending both schools It appears as though the Hazzard's only ran both this camp and and second school for a year before donating it to the Salvation Army by the summer of 1928, when it was then renamed the Houdd Gibson Camp. It operated then both as a summer camp for underprivileged boys and a resort for "opulent citizens" (presumably to help pay the bills) until a fire in 1944 burned down most of the buildings (Napa Journal Article, Sept. 15, 1944). As for the Lona Hazzard School, there is little to no record of it after 1932, and presumably it went out of business around then.
 Collection of Correspondence and Memorabilia of Clara Wallower, Wellesley College, Class of 1902. .Wellesley, MA.1896-1936
This collection centers around Clara Wallower's time at Wellesley. The majority of the collection consists of correspondence addressed to Clara, starting in 1896 when she was attending Dana Hall. In total there are over forty (40) letters. The early letters are mostly from her friends or family in Pennsylvania. Two of these early letters express concern over how much Clara is fretting over her school work. As these letters were written in, or around the time of Clara's grandmothers death in 1896 it is likely that they were worried about how Clara's grief was affecting her. Two letters are from the same friend, Rowena Millar, who writes, in great detail, about a disagreement the two had. Some of the letters are addressed to "Taddie", an apparent nickname for Clara. One such letter is from March 1900, sent by her father. He was visiting Joplin, checking on the progress of his various business ventures there while staying at the hotel he owned, the Keystone Hotel. In the letter he discusses a banquet he will be attending that will benefit the Joplin branch of the YMCA. Additionally, he also sent and discusses a newspaper clipping that announced Rockefeller's gift of $100,000 to Wellesley. In 1897, Clara and her parents took a trip to Europe. After she returned home, one of her fellow traveling partners, Mary, who had continued on with her European tour, wrote to Clara of her experiences. The letter consists of Mary's time in Germany in August/September of 1897. She was present when the King of Siam, King Chulalongkorn, otherwise known as Rama V, visited Germany on his grand European tour. She saw him two times, first while visiting the Charlottenburg Palace and the tomb of Queen Louise of Prussia, where he was touring there with Prince Albert. Apparently both their carriages left at the same time, and Mary's carriage was able to drive side-by-side with the King’s for several minutes. According to Mary, the King smiled and bowed to them. The second time Mary saw him was during a parade held in his honor in Berlin. She describes the parade as "thirty to forty thousand troops, all finely dressed, marched by and the Kaiser and Kaiserin on horseback." Mary concludes the letter discussing various gifts she purchased, such as a seal fur coat, and how she developed the film she had taken on the trip. Clara received three letters from an Olive Wells, who was also on a world tour at the time. The first letter in July 1897 describes her trip to China. Olive was not impressed at all by China, and was horrified by several of the things she saw there. She describes how Chinese woman would have their feet bound and are therefore unable to walk without the help of a maid. She describes how disturbed she was to see dead rats for sale on the streets and how she was called 'foreign devil'. She appears to have gotten along better on a small island she stopped on, during her passage from Hong Kong to Sydney, Australia. Her second letter is from October 1897 when she has already reached Italy. She talks briefly about her time in Italy and the cities she plans to visit, before discussing the classes she would like to take back at Wellesley and where she might stay when she returns. Her last letter is from January 1898, when she has returned to her home in Brooklyn, NY. In this letter, she is responding to some relationship drama between one of their common friends, Carrie, and her ex-fiance Don. Don had written Clara (letter is included in collection) asking her to talk with Carrie and report back to him. Clara, unsure of what to do, had turned to Olive for advice. Most of the remaining correspondences are either invites between Clara and other Wellesley girls, inviting each other to lunch, or courtship correspondence. For instance in 1897 she received two letters from a suitor, W. M. Murdock, who requests the pleasure of her presence at a Yale vs Harvard game. There is another letter from an Edward Moore, begging Clara's forgiveness for missing their date due to illness. There are a dozen or so other courtship invites that don't mention Clara by name, but appear to either be invites for groups of people to dances at an unnamed country club or hotel in Pennsylvania.                               In addition to the correspondence, there are also various items of memorabilia relating to Clara's time at Wellesley. First is Clara's formal acceptance letter to Wellesley, as well as her academic transcript that she would have needed to present to the school's Secretary upon her arrival. There are two programs from Wellesley Tree Day, dated 1897 and 1899. There is a program from 1896's Float Day. On the back inside cover of this program is a list of who she went with, which includes Olive and Mary. The last couple of programs in this collection are from the Glee and Mandolin Club Concert for the years 1897 and 1899. The collection also includes various invites either to or from Clara to a variety of clubs or activities at Wellesley. The first of which is the Agora of Wellesley, which is a political society that would meet to debate the various important worldly issues. There are two invites, the first of which is from 1897 to discuss the 'Cuban question', and the second is from 1900 to discuss the 'Transvaal question'. The second society Clara appears to have been a member of is the Tau Zeta Epsilon Society, whose goals are to further the study of arts in a scholarly fashion. The invite 'requests the pleasure of your company at The Barn'. It is dated April 23rd, with no year, but as it also mentions the day of the week (Monday), it is most likely form 1900. The next few items also lack a year, however it has been deduced by the day of the week. The first is invitation is from the "Faculty of Stone Hall" from 1899. The second is an invitation from the class of 1899 to meet the class of 1898 from June 1898. The last two are replies from two girls in 1899, who are accepting the invitation of the class of 1902. One of these replies comes with an envelope address to Clara, so it would appear as though she played some role in hosting this event. The last two items of the collection are a bit of outliers. The first is an original song composed by 'Elizabeth' in 1900. The relationship between Clara and Elizabeth is unknown. The last item dates to 1936. It is a typed copy of an address given by Albertine Reichle (Class of 1939) in memory of "Norumbega's founder." As Norumbega is a building on the campus, it appears that it was meant to honor Alice Freeman Palmer, the president of Wellesley college when it was built. The guest of honor was then Wellesley President Ellen Fitz Pendleton, who would die later that year. Taken as a whole  this collection of over 55 items provides a great window into the life of a Wellesley girl at the turn of the 19th century. To view this collection, please click on the following link: Clara Wallower was born on April 16, 1880 to Elias Zollinger Wallower and Maria Dorothy Hoover Wallower in Harrisburg, PA. Her father was a prominent business man who owned the Harrisburg Star Independent newspaper and was also member of a group of Harrisburg investors who were financing mining operations in the mineral district of southwestern Missouri. He took great personal interest in the growth of Joplin, Missouri, investing much of his own personal wealth in the city, and even eventually building the Keystone Hotel in downtown Joplin. Due to her father's financial success, Clara grew up in wealth and privilege. She attended the Dana Hall School, which is an independent boarding and day school for girls located in Wellesley, Massachusetts. The school served as Wellesley College's unofficial preparatory program, and indeed Clara was admitted into the freshman class of 1898-1899 at Wellesley. She would eventually graduate in 1902 and settle back down in Harrisburg, PA and marry Horace Montgomery Witman. Horace was a graduate of Gettysburg College and the Yale Divinity School. He worked with his father and brother in a wholesale grocery business in Harrisburg. Together, Horace and Clara would have three children, Harriet Hoover Witman, William Witman II, and Barbara Carmony Witman. Her son William would become a Foreign Service Officer, eventually becoming the U.S. Ambassador to Togo. Both her daughters, Harriet and Barbara, would attend Wellesley College. Clara died in 1964.
 Correspondence to Blanche Annis Leavitt, a Teacher from Belmont, NH. .Belmont, NY.1897 - 1911
Blanche Annis Leavitt (1881 - ?) was a teacher at Belmont Grammar School in in the early 1900s. The collection includes various correspondence and ephemera associated with her time at Belmont Grammar School, from her students to her co-workers, to her family. The bulk of the collection dates from 1901 - 1907, as Blanche would marry Ira Woodman Leavitt in 1907, and appears to have left the teaching profession. There is a total of forty-four (44) pieces in this collection: nine letters from students, four letters from family (mainly her nephews), five letters from friends, seven invites to various activities put on by students, and 19 pieces of ephemera (including 7 visiting cards). Collection is in chronological order. Items of note include: Teaching Certificate, December 1900 A handwritten teaching certificate awarded to Blanche Leavitt by E S Moulton, a member of the School Board of Belmont. New Hampshire Summer Institute for Teachers Program, August 1901 A 24 pp (including wrappers) program for the 8th annual Summer Institute session in Plymouth, NH from August 12-24, 1901. What was essentially an early teaching conference on education, there are lectures on drawing to arithmetic to psychology. The program lists each lesson available, the various transportation methods to get there, as well as a list of speakers. Courtship Letter, June 1903: Written by Clarence M Johnson, this letter describes a rather awful date he took Blanche on, when he took her for a drive. If appears as though nothing was on his side as the weather was terrible and Johnson spends most of the letter apologizing and asking to see her again. Kappa Sigma Fraternity Invite, February 1905 An invite from the Beta Kappa Chapter of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity at New Hampshire College (later became New Hampshire University) for a dinner. What is especially of note is the beautiful engraving of the star and crescent symbol associated with the fraternity. There is also visiting card for a Robert M Wright included with the invite. Family Letter, May 1906 While the letter itself gossips about the family and friends they know, included with the letter is a 1901 Canadian penny. It was given to her to "fill up her bank" Various Letters from Students, circa 1906 - 1907 The majority of these seem to have been written after Blanche Leavitt has left the Belmont Grammar School. In general, the children write a little bit about their life and their new teacher, Ms. Hill. It is apparent in the letters that the children prefer Leavitt to their new teacher. To view this collection please click on the following link:
 Eastman College's First Grand Excursion, On the Hudson River, Invite. Eastman College.Poughkeepsie, NY.May 18, 1878
An invite for the Eastman College's First Grand Excursion, otherwise known as "Poughkeepsie to the Ocean" (via news articles at the time). The students were to travel on Saturday, May 18, 1878, on the steamer Mary Powell, all the way to New York City from Poughkeepsie, via the Hudson River. Along the way they were to stop at variety of locations so that the students could enjoy the "delightful and picturesque scenery of the famous Hudson, as well as its cities, villages, palatial residences and places of historic interest." Two of the specific locations to visit mentioned in the invite were West Point and the prison Sing Sing. The Eastman College Band would provide the entertainment for the students on the excursion. The college itself was first known as Eastman National Business College, and later shorted to Eastman Business School, than Eastman College, was founded in 1859 by Harvey G. Eastman (cousin to George Eastman of Kodak fame). The school eventually became affiliated with the New York Business Institute before closing in 1931. The back of the invite has a black and white engraving of the Steamer Mary Powell "passing through the famous highlands of the Hudson". Single fold. Measures 6 1/4" x 5 3/4" (folded), 11 1/2" x 6 1/4".
 Esther Institute, Commencement Exercise Program. .Columbus, Ohio.June 12,1857
Esther Institute was the Columbus, Ohio's first girls' boarding school. It was founder by Lewis Hely in September 1853. The faculty at the school included Agnes Beecher Allen (1831-1919), niece of Harriet Beecher Stowe. The item is a program for the June 1857 Commencement Exercises. It is printed on a single sheet of hounds tooth watermark paper with an engraving of a garden with a globe in it. It was closed in 1862, due to the American Civil War, at which point the building itself was used as a military hospital. After the conclusion of the war in 1865 it was reopened as Irving House and then eventually became a parish house for Trinity Episcopal. The building itself was demolished in 1916. Measures 10" x 8". Minor crease marks.
 Fine Cased Calligraphy Certificate of Merit for completing a term of 11 years at Mrs. Okill's Female Boarding School. .New York, NY.1859
A 5 1/4" x 4 3/8" calligraphy or engrossed coated stock  testimonial  of the Amiable Deportment and Excellent Scholarship is presented to Charlotte Augusta Wood, of the first Class who was a member of Mrs. Okill's Female Boarding School in the City of New York for the term of 11 years and regularly passed though the course of study pursued in the several classes of the Institution, with honor to herself and Instructors.  Given at 6 & 8 Clinton Place, June 30th 1859.  It is housed in a 5 3/4" x 5" gilt stamped case with hinged side closure. The front depicts a finely detailed insignia comprised of the elements of learning with the words "Prix Institution de Mme Okill with the motto " Récompense la berin et l'homme le Savoir".  Her name is stamped on the reverse..
 Fleischmann's Yeast Cool Rise Demonstration, Eight Retail Bake Shop Layout. International Milling Company Inc..1966
A set of eight retail bake shop layouts provided by the International Milling Company. The set was distributed during a 'Cool Rise' Demonstration of Fleischmann's yeast at the Colorado State University in August 1966. The eight plans come in a folder that depicts an image of a wheat field along with the dates of the demonstration listed at the bottom. The front flap of the folder has also been die cut into the shape of a bread loaf. Each layout within the folder has a layout done in one of four colors: red, green, yellow or blue. Each layout fold out into 5 sections and depicts the floor plan of a shop, and images of all the equipment needed as well as several paragraphs discussing the 'flow of production' in each layout. Folder Measures: 11 3/4" x 9 1/2" Plans Measures: 11" x 7 3/4" (folded) 37" x 11" (unfolded). etc.
 Gonzaga College, Washington: Catalogue of the Officers and Students, For the Academic Year 1867-1868 . WM. H. Moore.Washington DC.1868
32pp.Yellow wrap.This book provides an overview of the school, staff, and students going in to the 1867-1868 academic year.   The course of studies is substantially the form of theaching "Ratio studiorum, followed for more than three hundred years in the Jesuit Colleges in Europe and since 1790 in our own cuontry. Includes a basic outline of courses in the Humanities department, a list of the students and their year, shows a list of the members of several college clubs and societies, and ends with awards that were given to students at the end of the prior semester.  5 1/2" x 8 1/2". Previously known as Washington Seminary, re-opened for the youth of Washington city and its youth of Washington city and its vicinity, on the 2d day of October, 1848.  It is conducted by the Fathers of the Society of Jesus.
 Hand made Teaching Aids and Lesson Plans  for Kindergarten Teacher, Mrs. Robinson. .Snowhegan, ME.c1950
An array of materials used by a first grade teacher including series of mimeographed work sheets (tests) to to develop Motor Skills, Motor Control, Reversals, Rhyming Words, Riddles in Rhyme, Visual Discrimination, Spatial Relationships, Completion, Identifying Opposites, and more. Some with index cards attached with hand written notes on the procedure and desired results .  Also includes handmade color flash cards to teach children colors and  color charts with color names to match.   Also includes individual alphabet letters, die-cuts of food, counting aids (using straws to count).  Additionally wall prints by Hayes school publishing, etc. Two posters on dental hygiene.   Last but not least class photos of Mrs. Robinson's AM and PM classes. .
 History of the Bible. Phinney & Co.Buffalo, NY.1857
192 pp, blind stamp covers. A brief history of the bible originally intended for a juvenile audience. Along with the text there are nearly two dozen black and white illustrations, the majority of which are portriats of the interregnal figures of the bible. Such as Adam, Noah, Abraham and Joseph. There are approximately five illustrations of various scenes from the bible such as "Samson and the Lion" and "The Crucifixion." . Measures 2" x 1 3/4". Moderate cover and edge wear due to rubbing. The back strip shows heavy wear. The front cover is partially detached from the text. The last interior page (it's blank) has a water stain on it, as well an signature from a previous owner.
 Illustrated Circular of the State Normal School  - Supplement to the Bulletin. .Valley City, ND.1912
The State Normal School in Valley City, North Dakota was a school for teachers. It taught five different courses that each resulted in a different teaching certificate. Along with the course descriptions are twelve black and white images from photographs  of the campus and the school's classrooms. Images include a manual training class, domestic science class, the model playground, the exteriors of the building and more. Expenses include Board and room in the dormitories at $15 month, free tuition except in the music department ($5.50 and the purchase of books at $8-10 per student per year.  Located in the east central part of ND at the crossing of two transcontinental railways, the Northern Pacific and the Soo Line.  16pp. folder. Measures 25" x 5 3/4" (unfolded) and 5 3/4" x 3 1/4" (folded)..
 In search of a job - Letters of Recommendation & Certificates for Josephine Smith, West Gardner ME 1864.  . ..
A letter of reference, a certificate and her high school report card were the tools used by Miss Josephine Smith in 1864 to attempt to secure a job as a school teacher.   Apparently they worked as this grouping also includes two letters from the Superintendent of  Schools attesting she is qualified to teach for the 1866 and 1867 terms. .
 Program for the Second Anniversary of the Bureau Society, Ladoga Female Seminary . Ladoga Female Seminary .Ladoga, IN.October 29, 1860
A program for a recital to celebrated the second anniversary of the Bureau Society at the Ladoga Female Seminary. The program lists the essays given by the members, some of which were entitled "Wonders of the Deep", "Night in Eden" and "Let us Paddle Our Own Canoe". In between every few essays there was a break for music. There is penciling throughout the program, and there is a pencil drawing of a flower on the front cover. Single fold. Measures 6" x 3 7/8" (folded)..  It is unclear exactly what the Bureau Society was, but the Ladoga Female Seminary was established in 1855 by the Baptists, and relatively soon after started to admit male students as well (due to financial issues). It appears that it was only open a short while, until 1869, and never was financially solvent.
 Program for the Sixth Anniversary of the Ladoga Female Seminary . Ladoga Female Seminary .Ladoga, IN.June 27, 1861
A program for the celebration of the sixth anniversary of the Ladoga Female Seminary as well as its graduation ceremony. The program lists what appear to be recitations of poems or essays by the students, interspersed with music between them. Some of the readings were: "March of Mind", "My Boat is Launched, and where's the Shore?" and "Life- With Valedictory Address". After these readings graduating pupils were presented with their diplomas. The program has an embossed decorative floral. Single fold. Measures 6 1/2" x 4 1/4" (folded).. The Ladoga Female Seminary was established in 1855 by the Baptist, and relatively soon after started to admit male students as well (due to financial issues). The school was only open a short while, until 1869, and never was financially solvent.
 Programme of the Examination & Exhibition Exercises, at Appleton Academy. Appleton Academy.New Ipswich, NH.November 24th & 25th, 1862
A program for the Appleton Academy in New Ipswich, NH that ironically served both as list of the students' scheduled times for those final exams and their graduation program. The cover of the program features a black and white engraving of the main building of the academy with the title, date, and ticket information of the exams and exhibition, set in a decorative filigree border. The interior of the program lists the different performances in the exhibition, from speeches, to music and dramatic performances, ending with a Valedictory Speech. Once again the text is set within a decorative filigree border, though one that is more simplistic than the front cover. The back page lists the various exams, from French to Chemistry, their locations and times. Exams ended by midday on the 25th, so the assumption is that the exhibition would have occurred that night. The text is set inside the same simplistic decorative border as the interior of the program.  Single fold. Double sided. Measures 8" x 5" (folded), 10" x 8" (unfolded).. New Ipswich Academy was charted in 1789, and would later change its name to New Ipswich Appleton Academy, and then just Appleton Academy after its largest benefactor Samuel Appleton (1766-1853). It was an historic private academy which operated from 1789 to 1968, and then again from 1969 to 1974. It is the second oldest academy chartered in New Hampshire, and had a close relationship with Dartmouth College. A fire destroyed the original main building in 1941, but a new building of similar design was erected at the same site. After the school shut town in 1974, the town of Appleton used it for their public school system until 2011.  The buildings were then used by a non profit, The Center for Information, Technology & Society and the Program of Knowledge, which focused on STEM education for children grades K-12. Around 2018 the charity sold the buildings to Bay State Militaria & Antiques, who are in the current process of renovating the buildings.
 Promotional Piece Image from Photograph of Pupils at the Eastern Branch of the Lewis School for Stammerers. Boys and Girls, Men and Women, eight to fifty years.. .Boston.1907
Promotional Piece with image of group in front of building. Appears to have a sign that states "All Are Welcome". The group consists of men, women, and children. Reverse states that the Eastern Branch will close on the fifteenth day of April 1907. "No pupils will be accepted after march Fifth" and reminds readers that March Fifth is Next Tuesday.. creases from folding
 Rhode Island School of Design Saturday Morning Class Brochure. Rhode Island School of Design.Providence, RI.[1910]
A single fold informational brochure for the Rhode Island School of Design's Saturday Morning Classes which were for students of all ages. This brochure focuses on the drawing courses offered by them: freehand drawing, design, and mechanical drawing. As the focus of this brochure is drawing classes, it is ironic then that the illustration on the front cover is a photograph of a hand made pitcher and bowl. The interior pages of this brochure provides some general information on the program, and although it is stated that this program is for students of all ages, the text emphasizes elementary school children. For example it states, "children have a natural love for form and color, and this sense is often lost in later years if it is not encouraged and developed." The back cover of this brochure provides a brief outline of the ground covered in each of the courses. Single-fold brochure. Measures 6 1/4" x 4 x1/4" (folded), 8 1/2" x 6 1/4" (unfolded)..
 School Record for the 6th School District in Woodbury, CT . ..1841-1896
A manuscript journal recording all of the official actions of the school district beginning with the appointment of George N. Judson as moderator of the School Committee for 1841.  The record includes information on the appointment of committee members through the years and all activities related to the school building.  A primary focus is the acquisition of cords of wood; it begins by noting who it was purchased from and the price.  Bethlehem CT was added to the district in 1853.  In 1859 the committee added a committee member responsible for measuring the cord wood for accuracy. Also includes information on dates for summer seasons, hiring of teachers and taxes to support them, acquiring a new stove, voting for repairs and more.  In 1881 voted to lay a new ash floor with pine walls and overhead. At that time an audit report was also released by the committee (not included). A request for taxs to pay for school house running lines. Last record 1896.  Measures 8" x 6 1/2". A good resource for community leaders, cost and type of wood in the Woodbury CT area, .
 The Arms Student Vol XXII No. 1 - Published by the Students of Arms Academy, Shelburne Falls, MA, Dec 1908. Shelburne Falls Messenger.Shelburne Falls, MA.1908
16pp. white paper wrapper, front and back cover printed in red ink. Small illustration of the school on the front cover, also printed in red. School newspaper for the winter term in 1908. Included possible course outlines, the scores from recent sporting events, recent scientific discoveries, alumni news, and more. In the editorial section, there are 8 short narrative pieces: Winter - Their First Thanksgiving - Winter in the Adirondacks - My Experience with a Burglar - Civil Service Positions - "The Lark" - School Fun - Class Notes. Topics range from informational, like the short piece encouraging students to join the civil service, to the comedic, like the story "Their First Thanksgiving", the tragic tale of two turkeys, reading the newspaper as it blows into the barn, as they wonder what 'Thanksgiving' is. Ends with 6 pages of advertisements for various local businesses. Measures 9" x 6 3/4". .
 The Declaration of Independence Portfolio, Compiled and Published by The Ladies' Patriotic Society Co.,. The Ladies' Patriotic Society Co.,.Buffalo, NY.1899
A 17 1/2" x 14 1/2" facsimile of the Declaration of Independence, about one-third in size; also a copy of Charles Carroll's manuscript additions in 1826, etc.   Compiled and Published by The Ladies' Patriotic Society Co., Distributors of Patriotic Literature.   The Society is desirous that every citizen, especially young person and boys and girls, should study thoroughly or commit to memory the Declaration of Independence.  A fee of 10 cents is proposed.   Found in original envelope.  NO OCLC or other internet reference to the Society. 3/2017. .
 The Little Chap: A Small Newspaper Published During the School Year - Andover (Philips Academy) . Edward H. Williams, III.Andover, Mass.1621
The small newspaper is published one a week during the school year and includes short, often local news. The two-sided printed newspaper is roughly divide into three sections, general news, sports news, and advertising. The news includes mostly area information, this issue includes ticket sales to a baseball game and the strange fishy taste and smell to the water. The sports sections include scores of games, as well as upcoming ones, most importantly the Andover versus Exeter game that is happening in a few days. The advertisements on the reverse side are of local stores and shops. At the bottom of the first page is a little outline of a little chap. Measures 6 3/4" x 5 1/4". .
 The Southern Workman, Vol 39, No. 12. The Hampton Normal and Agricultural Institute.Hampton, VA.3988
Some of the articles within this volume are "African Agriculture by Monroe N. Work, The Indian of To-day by Henry Roe Cloud, and The American Rural School by William A. Aery. Additionally there are ten images from photographs found within the three articles entitled Progress in Porto Rico, Restoration of Roman' Marriage Place, and the Awakening of Asia. 60 pgs. (pages are numbered 644-704). Tan printed wrappers. Measures 10" x 6 1/2" . The Southern Workman is a journal founded by Civil War General and Educator Samuel Chapman Armstrong, and is a magazine "devoted to the interest of the undeveloped races." Armstrong was the first Principal of Hampton Agricultural Normal  and Agricultural Institute (later known as Hampton College, now known as Hampton University), which was founded after the Civil War to help provided education to freedmen. The school also focused on educating other minorities, such as Native Americans.
 Ticket for the Harvard-Dartmouth Tennis Match. .Hanover, NH or Cambridge, MA..5971
A small ticket for the sale of tickets to the May 1916 Tennis tournament between the men's tennis team of Harvard and Dartmouth. It is unknown if these matches took place at Dartmouth in Hanover, NH, or at Harvard in Cambridge, MA, however Harvard did win, 8 to 1. This score has been penned onto the ticket. The matches were set to start at 1:30, and tickets were 10 cents each. Printed on one side on a stiff board, cut into a small rhombus shape. It has a small hole on the top where a green sting has been threaded through. Measures 2" x 2" .
 Tuition Receipt from Tuskaloosa Female College. Tuskaloosa Female College.Tuscaloosa, AL.October 1, 1866
This item is a tuition receipt for Miss Mary J. Nelson dated October 1, 1806. It is specifically stated on the receipt that it is for "literary tuition" for one term, at the cost of $39. Payment for the tuition was paid on September 18, 1867, and on the back of the receipt is written, "Voucher No. 39". The receipt is very simple, with preprinted fill in sections for the name of the student, date, and fees. On the left side of the receipt in a decorative filigree box, there is text inside: "Tuskaloosa Female College. TERMS: - Cash in advance or satisfactory note." Note: The school spells Tuskaloosa with a 'k' but the city itself is spelled Tuscaloosa with a 'c'. Single sheet, one sided. Measures 7 1/4" x 7 3/4".. Tuskaloosa Female College was one of four female colleges in Tuscaloosa, AL in the 1800s. It was organized by the Baptist denomination and established in 1835 under the name of The Athenaeum. The school had numerous financial struggles over the years, and in during one of these, in 1860, it was renamed the Tuskaloosa Female College. It remained open until 1908.
"Nobleman" Engraving from the History of the University of Cambridge
This engraving features a man in a blue beautifully embroidered robe holding a black graduation cap. The artwork was done by Thomas Uwins and engraved by J. Agar. This engraving from Rudolph Ackermann's book "History of the University of Cambridge, Its Colleges, Halls, and Public Building" published in 1815 by L. Harrison and J.C. Leigh. Measures 13 1/4" x 10 1/2".
"Proctor" Engraving from the History of the University of Cambridge
This engraving features a man in a dark robe standing by a desk holding a book by a chain handle. This engraving has been colored with brown accents for the desk's wooden legs and the clasps on the book. The artwork was done by Thomas Uwins and engraved by J. Agar. This engraving was from Rudolph Ackermann's book "History of the University of Cambridge, Its Colleges, Halls, and Public Building" published in 1815 by L. Harrison and J.C. Leigh. Measures 13 1/4" x 10 1/2".
1924 Vassar Calendar with Leather Cover. ..1924
An eleven (11) page calendar with an embossed leather cover with leather string tie for Vassar 1924. Images from photographs throughout by M. De M. Brown.  The title page is the 1924 Class Tree with a dancer at base.  Printed by Charles L. Willard, 150 Nassau St. New York.  Editors - Marjorie Miller and Mabel Hayes.  Subsequent pages have photo images of significant events throughout the year including the Founder's Day Song Contest, the 1924 Daisy Chain, Varsity Hockey from 1922, Varsity Basketball for 1923, and Track for 1923.  Also includes places of interest including the Sunset Path, Thompson Memorial Library and Students' Building in a winter scene.  Each page has two calendar months each with line drawn illustrations of a woman partaking in a seasonal sports activity.    The final page includes the various student presidents for the year. 11" x 8 3/4"     . edge wear at base with light corner chips.  Toning on cover page beneath leather cover.  Edge bends and chips.
A Lady of Cincinnati The Child's Bible. with plates. Fisher & Brother.Philadelphia.1834
192 pp, embossed cloth board covers. Miniature book. Stereotyper: Joseph A James  Written by a 'lady of Cincinnati', this item is a rendition of the bible simplified for a child audience. There are 27 beautifully detailed  black and white illustrations in the book. Inscribed on end paper front cover  and was given to a student by their teacher (Reward of Merit ?). There is a a lock of hair inserted in-between two pages (68 & 69). Measures 2" x 1 3/4". Covers are soiled and have a few stains. In particular there is one on the front cover. Covers are partially separated from the text block. Interior pages are toned and slightly soiled due to age. Missing last page (191-192)
A Treatise on Indigestion and its Consequences, called Nervous and Bilious Complaints; with Observations on the Organic Diseases, in which some they sometimes terminate.  A.P.W. Philip James Crissy Philadelphia 1824
195 pp. Brown leather cover, no illustrations, Fourth Edition with some additional observations. A Treatise on Indigestion contains information and observations relating to the physical ailments. The chapters list the symptoms, causes, treatments of first, second, and third stages of indigestion. 8 3/4" x 5 1/2" wear on cover, foxing throughout, one page has torn edge but does not effect text, possible water damage on lower right side, inscribed
Alice Murphy School Reports for the Day School for Young Ladies and Girls, February 1890 to June 1892 and examination excuse, 1903.New Haven.1890-1892, 1903
A collection of 15 reports for Miss Alice Murphy, 1 excuse from examination card from 1903. Reports from Day School for Young Ladies and Girls, New Haven. Principals: Miss Orton and Miss Nichols. reports are signed A.K. Murphy. Examination excuse card is from 1903 and is signed H.J. Whiton. . loose reports, slight creases and staining
An Address before the Emma Willard Association and  a collection of School work by Helen Harrison Hadley (nee Morris) from her time at Vassar College
This grouping or 21 works begins with an address made by Helen Harrison Hadley  to the Emma Willard Association at their annual banquet in November 1901. The Association’s mission was to unite the graduates of the Troy Seminary in a friendly alliance, and to co-operate in promoting the cause of higher education among women. Emma Willard was an American women's rights activist who dedicated her life to education who founded the first school for women's higher education, the Troy Female Seminary in Troy, New York. Hadley was a member of this association, and it unknown if she gave this address or simple kept a copy of it. The address starts: “Our daughters cannot advantageously be medieval at the present day…. Time was when the right to study earnestly, to think intelligently, to base one’s daily action on reason and self-control, was reserved for men; but that is not more.”  Includes a written and typed copy of the address. Additionally, this offering includes a collection of 18 additional writings of Hadley. The bulk of the materials are 14 school assignment in essay format Hadley wrote for various courses during her time at Vassar. These assignments ranged from essays to short story telling, to book reports to her answer to a test. Most of the assignments have been graded in red pen and often start with an outline before the essay. Helen would graduate Vassar in 1883. Below are the titles of the Assignments: "Are Woman Inferior to Men?" "Nicaragua" (which describes her cousins trip there) "The Wit and Wisdom of Children" x2 "People and their Hobbies" "Having a Picture Take" "The Two Portraits of Shakespeare" "The Use and Abuse of Policy" x2 "The Word Painting in "A Princess of Thule ", a novel by W. Black "Advertising and it Oddities" "Swift: Shall We Pity or Despise Him?" "A Brother and Sister" Test The essays present an interesting view as to the character and beliefs of Ms. Hadley.   Helen would graduate Vassar in 1883, and marry Arthur Twining Hadley in 1891. Arthur would become the 13th President of Yale in 1899. It would appear that for the summer of 1899, Helen spent the majority of the time in New Haven, helping her husband settle into his new role, while a caretaker looked after her three children: her two sons Morris and Hamilton, and her new born daughter, Laura, at the family farmstead in Sandy Hook, CT. There are four letters from that time which are essential reports to Helen on how her children are doing. The four letters are held together by a blue ribbon, most of which has become detached. Another item in this collection is a letter from Edward G Fullerton, a graduate student in the Divinity School at Yale. It appears that he had broken his leg, and Helen had loaned him her copies of the Century Magazine which help to “while away very pleasantly several hours of [his] imprisonment”. The letter continues on to discuss the fact that Fullerton misses seeing the starts at the Yale Observatory. What is truly remarkable about this letter is the pen drawing done by Fullerton, showing him walking with crutches in a cast. To view this collection please click on the following link: 
Announcement of the Winona Summer School, Season of 1906. Winona Assembly and Summer School Association.Winona Lake, IN.1906
Association of Civil Engineers This Is On The Level : A Menu & Program for the Eleventh Annual Banquet of the Association of Civil Engineers, Cornell University. Cornell University.Ithaca, NY.5187
A menu and program for the  Eleventh Annual Banquet of the Association of Civil Engineers at Cornell University.  The banquet took place on Saturday Evening, March 14, 1914 in the A. G. Cafeteria on campus. The illustrations on the menu are humorous, with the cover depicting a man in a tweed suit sitting on a Surveyor's level, with the caption, "This is on the Level, Give it the Once Over". The other two illustrations are under the subtitles of 'Menu' and 'Toasts', with the first illustration depicting the head of a man in the place of where a plate would go with silverware on either side, and the second depicting the head of man, rolling his eyes, wearing a halo and wings. On the menu there are such options as oyster cocktail, queen olives, prime roast beef with mushroom sauce, petit pois a l'anglaise and caramel ice cream. Fatima cigarettes where also provided "furnished by courtesy of Liggett and Meyers Tobaco [sic] Co." There were several remarks and addresses given by engineering professors, alumni, and the president of the association. The entertainment for the night was a vocal performance and two 'stunts', one of which appears to have been performed with a 'mandolin', though that word has been penciled in by the stunt on the program. Lastly there is a page listing the current committee members of the association, and several pages for autographs of fellow member attending the banquet. On the top of the first autograph page, above the header is "G. F. Whitney, Table 7". It is unclear if this program originally belonged to him or if he just chose sign his name in an unusual location. However, he is mostly likely Guy Frank Whitney (1889-1987) who graduated Cornell University in 1914 with a degree in Civil Engineering. 8 pg. Illustrated tan wrappers. Staple binding. OCLC 0 (Aug. 2020). Measures 9" x 6".. Menu furnished by the courtesy of Keuffel & Esser Co. The College of  Engineering is a division of Cornell University that was founded in 1870, and is currently ranked 14th nationally by the US News and World Report. As for the Association of Civil Engineers, it is unclear if this was a student organization at the University or the University chapter of the American Society of Civil Engineers.
Catalogus eorum qui munera et officia academica gesserunt, quique alicujus gradus laurea donati sunt, in Collegio Amherstiensi, Amherstiæ, Republica Massachusettensi.
Latin, college catalogue, Amherst College, schools & universities, foreign language, religion

A catalogue for Amherst College, in Latin. The title roughly translates to: "Catalog of Academic Faculty and Students who are Graduates of Amherst College, Amherst, Massachusetts." The catalogue begins with a list of its faculty members, the subject and time spent teaching at the college. It then with alumni, by date of graduation, and then alphabetically. There are symbols by some of the names, either to indicate their withdrawal from the college or their deaths. There is some penciling by the names when it appears that there was a printing mistake, such as a spelling error. Next, there is a list of those individuals who received honorary degrees from the school, also organized by year and then alphabetically. Lastly there is an index of all the students names, in alphabetical order with their graduation year. Printed by J. S. Et C. Adams. 34 pgs. Thread binding. Latin. OCLC 2 (Apr. 2020). Measures 8 1/2" x5 1/2".

General wear. Appears to have been previously bound with other periodicals. Crease fold. Some discoloration on cover.

Catharine E Beecher Miss Beecher's Housekeeper and Health Keeper, contain five hundred recipes for economical and healthful cooking; also, Many Directions for securing health and happiness. Harper & Brothers, Publishers.New York.1873
482 pp. Decorative green cloth covers with gilt stamp."Approved by Physicians of All Classes", this book was part cookbook, part health manual, and part domestic guide. It sought to codify and simplify the information and skills needed to efficiently and effectively run any household. Broken into 2 parts over thirty-two (32) chapters, the first part focuses on the kitchen. It supplies a variety of recipes that are both "economical and healthful" as well as providing tips to save on labor and how to properly season one's food. The second part focuses on what Beecher calls the "laws of health" and was meant to help a mother take care of herself and her children. Included with the book are several cut-outs; one a hand written recipe for sponge cake and another is a newspaper article on potpourri. There are several illustrations and diagrams throughout the book as well.   Measures 7 1/2" x 5". Moderate cover and edge wear. Some soiling and toning due to age (or the few inserts of recipes or news paper articles mentioned above) There is also a stain on the lower right of the book that continues through out the book but lessens in size towards the end. Catharine Esther Beecher was an American educator known for her forthright opinions on female education as well as her vehement support of the many benefits of the incorporation of kindergarten into children's education. She was also of Harriet Beecher Stowe, the 19th century abolitionist and writer most famous for her groundbreaking novel Uncle Tom's Cabin.
Charles F. Mayer. The Second Annual Oration, Delivered Before the Belles Lettres and Union of Philosophical Societies of Dickinson College. Office of the Herald. Carlisle, PA.1827
Chicago Female College Illustrated Supplement of Catalogue.Chicago.ca1896
unpaginated. Printed cover with black and white photograph, black and white photographs throughout. An advertisement and supplement for Chicago Female College. Included are descriptions of study, sample years, tuition, specialties, and photographs of campus. 5 1/4" x 8". slight staining
Cicile Heller, Cover Design From Kindergarten to College - University School. .Cincinnati, OH .1940s
University School was a co-ed K-12 school that was founded in 1903 in Cincinnati, Ohio. The school is no longer operation. What is unique about this item is that it is not your typical printed brochure. It is actually just a series of twenty-three (23) black and white images from photographs depicting the school's campus, and students in the classroom working on various projects. Each image has a narrative description on the reverse. Some of the projects being worked on are: papier mache maps of Ohio, models of different country's clocks such as the Chinese water clock, the making of hooked rugs, and a model museum depicting the evolution of Greek sculpture. Housed in a two fold cover folder with silhouette of small children to college students on the cover and a map of the school on the inside fold. Photographs by Jensen-Malott and Keystone. Measures 6 1/2" x 4 1/4". .
Clarence Edward Felker (photographer) Photo Album of Construction Lafayette Stadium. .Easton, PA.1925-1926
The album features over sixty black and white photographs of the construction of Fisher Field (later named Lafayette Stadium)  the football field of Lafayette College in Easton, PA. Fisher Field was named after Thomas Fisher, Lafayette College Class of 1888, who almost single-handily raised and donate the funds to construct the field. Construction for the 18,000 seat stadium began in 1925 and was finished in 1926. The entire construction process was captured by photographer Clarence Felker, from the arrival of the construction materials by rail, to the cranes and workmen constructing the field to the first few games played there in September 1926. Two of the photographs have been pasted together to form a panoramic view of the field just prior to construction. This panoramic view folds out of the album. The photographs themselves are canvas backed, and the majority of them are identified with "Felker Photo, Easton, PA" and the date. A few of the photographs lack this metadata, and one has "Johnson Photo" on it. When the photograph depicts a football game, noted on the canvas backing is the final score of the game. Clarence Felker was a commercial photographer who was perhaps most known for capturing the downtown section of Easton, PA.  He owned his own studio in Easton, PA called Felker Studios, which was first opened by his father-in-law, Charles J. Momberger, in the 1880s. Black leather covers with gilt text "Lafayette Stadium, H. C. Booz" (alumnus 1895), String binding. Measures 11 1/4" x 8". Clarence Edward Felker was born on November 21, 1883 to Willis E. Felker (1856-1904) and Rosannah Heller (1853-1901) in Flicksville, PA. He had several siblings:  Eugene Christopher Felker (1878-1954), Amy A. Felker Ellis (1880-1959), Florence May Felker Wagner (1885-1913), Lydia Alice Felker Reiman/Ryman (1888-1963) and Lela I. Felker (1891-1924). He married Florence E. Momberger (1889-1962) on May 30, 1904 and had four children: Florence Elizabeth Felker Cressman (1905-1938), Willis Paul Felker (1907-1907), Clarence Felker (1908-1909) and Rudoph Nelson Felker (1910-1978). It was his father-in-law's, Charles James Momberger (1860-?) whose photograph studio he took over. Clarence later divorced Florence and remarried Hester Villetta Ealer (1900-1968) on August 27, 1941. He died on July 23, 1964.
Class of 1917 Initial Instruction for Infants or The Babies' Botany Book, A Grind Book from Smith College. Smith College.Northampton, MA.1914
8 pg., staple booklet. A humor filled book, which appears on first glance to be a baby book on botany. However upon closer inspection, one realize that the book has noting to do with botany. It is actually a 'Grinds' Book from Smith College, a women's college in Northampton, MA. These 'Grind Book's, also called Freshman Grinds, were created as a result of a long-standing competition that has existed between the First Year (Freshman) students and the Second Year (Sophomore) students, and were printed and placed either on the doorsteps or in the mailboxes of incoming Freshman. These books were often full of humor, poking fun at the incoming class, such as when the Class of 1908 produced a take-off of modern baby books, entitled "Babies Own Journal", which offered instructions on how to keep the baby member of the Class of 1909 happy, health, and clean. The Freshman class was often referred to as 'babies' as they knew nothing about campus or college life, and the Grinds often reflected that idea. "The Babies Botany Book", die cut to be shaped like a baby sucking a bottle and holding a doll, also reflects this idea, and includes five poems instructing the 'baby' reader on the various times of 'specimens' found. In this case they are referring to five of the stereotypical personalities of young incoming Freshmen. The poems are titled Grind-ia Greasi-ma (a Book Worm), Athlet-a Long Legorum (the athlete with long legs), Fusser Blushiorum (a flirty girl), Freshman-a Weepiosa (a homesick freshman), and Rusher Constant-a (an overachiever). Along with each poem is a black and white lined drawing. These drawings are also humorous in nature, for example the poem about the Athlete, depicts a girl's head with a long braid acting as the center of a flower and its stem, surrounding by basketballs representing the flower petals. Below is one of the poems found within this book. "This 'red-eyed-Susan' does not grow Where 'black-eyed-Susans' do, Nor is its color --A melancholy 'blue'; You'll find that early in the Fall It's everywhere about; 'Tis watered most by tears. But Time Can always Weed it out And for this flower to droop its head Is natural, must be granted: 'Tis torn from its own native soil, And is, of course, transplanted."    - Freshman-a Weepiosa Another funny bit to this book is the inscription which reads: "A collection of typical specimens weeded from the abundant growth of the year 1918, by 17 Botanists." Measures 8" x 4 3/4".
Julia Letheld Hahn Promotional Booklet for The Child Develpment Readers. Houghton Mifflin Co..Boston.1935
31 pp  booklet with examples of pages and teaching instructions from The Child Development Readers.  Content includes In the Store, An Orientation Picture Story, Hurry! Hurry!, Taking Pony Boy Home, Good Times in Paul's Room, The Camp, A Dictionary Page, Milk to Drink in Lapland, Our Weekly News, Shopping for Toys and a page from the unit on Cotton.  All examples from the Primer, First, Second and Third Readers.  Captions at the base of each page indicate it's book and location.  Color illustrations throughout.  The back cover lists all of the Child Development Readers.  Measures 8" x 5 1/4". .
Laura Beaumont Moseley (nee Hadley) Photo Album of her time at Vassar College
The main item in this collection is a photo album that Laura put together of her time at Vassar between 1918 and 1920. There are images of her fellow classmates and teachers, and some campus buildings such as Taylor Hall, the library, and what appears to be her dorm room (labeled as 403 Main). Some of the individuals of note in the photographs are Professor Burges Johnson, Minne Cumnock Blodgett (a school Trustee), and Ella McCaleb (the college’s first dean in 1913). There are four large photographs of the 1919 Junior Party, an annual event at Vassar where plays and such were put on by the students. There is a paper doll chain in the album, that appears to to illustrate Laura and her four close girl friends: Pater, Cyr, Lucy, and Cherub. There are some family photographs in the album, most likely from when she was visiting the family farmstead, named Snake Rock Farm in Sandy Hook, CT. Additionally there are photographs of a large group of her friends and their beaus at an unknown lake. The majority of the photographs also have some notations by them such as “the three roommates” and “Delicious! May I have the recipe?” While the people in each photograph are often identified, it has been mostly done with either by a nickname or their initials. In addition to the album there several loose photographs, including what appears to be a class picture. Furthermore, there are over ten envelopes with negatives. These envelopes are addressed to one of Laura’s three address, 93 Whitney Ave (where her parents lived), Snake Rock Farm in Sandy Hook, and 403 Main (her address at Vassar) and sometimes include receipts.  There are just over a hundred black and white photographs, and approximately forty-five (45) corresponding film negatives. The photographs vary in size, ranging from 3” x 2” up to 9 ½” x 6”.  Additionally, there are 5 duplicate photographs (4 loose, 1 in the album) of the library at Vassar. Also included in this collection are two homework assignments.  One of the assignments is an essay on the symbolic meaning of a circle (undated), and the other is an essay in Italian (dated November 26, 1919), on several prominent figures who recently visited America, such as the King and Queen of Belgium. The latter assignment is typed and graded, while the former is handwritten with no additional marks. The handmade magazine dates from May 1912, and appears to have been created by Laura in humor. It is three pages long including the title page. The second page has a quote from a geometry book discussing how to find the angle of a triangle. Below it is a humorous interpretation of that geometrical problem entitled “The Horrible Result of Trying this Experiment in the Town of Groton, Triangle ABC.” It shows an illustration of a street with two buildings, the town hall (with the sign “Who Enters Here Leaves Hope Behind, Town Hall”) and the Police Department. Laura is depicted near the police department looking up a man identified as Peter Zeus who is standing on the roof of the town hall. The illustrations shows the reader how to calculate the angle between Laura on the ground and Peter on the roof. Beside the town hall, is a small figure falling, which is meant to illustrate Peter is falling or jumping from the roof. The last page of the magazine has a Sonnet that hilariously discusses how to write a sonnet for class. To view this collection, please click on the following link:
Pearl Barkley & Doris Jones, Illustrators. Starting to School in Kingsport. Kingsport City Schools.Kingsport, TN.1953
This is a brochure prepared for parents of children in public schools in Kingsport, Tennessee. It is directed towards the parents who are sending their kids to school for the first time. The brochure is divided up into categories: Rules & Regulations, Visits & Conferences, Health & Safety, Readiness in Subject-matter Areas, Home-School Cooperation, Suggested List of Children's Books, and References of Interest to Parents of School-Beginners.  Along with the information presented, there are cartoon line drawings throughout. 26 pp. Illustrated wraps. Measures 8 1/2" x 5 1/2"..
Polytechnic Alumni Association Menu 30th Annual Dinner of the Polytechnic Alumni Association. .Brooklyn, NY.February 26,1892
A menu from the 30th Annual Dinner of the Polytechnic Alumni Association of the Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute. The menu itself is rather humorous, with each dish containing scientific names and chemical formulas for the attendees to decipher in order to known what they were having. For example the first item on the menu is "Mollusca. Class, Lamellibranchiata,. Genus Ostrae (Semitesta)" or in other words Oysters, or under Punch it states: C12 H22 O11 + H2O + C6 H12 O6 + 2 C2 H6O, which roughly translates to: Sucrose + Water + Fructose + Ethanol. On the left margin are some scientific drawings such as charts and beakers. At the top of the menu is an illustration of a professor lecturing on top of a small stage with chalk boards in the background.   The menu itself is two sheets, laid on top of one another, and attached by two red sun burst shape stickers at the top. The secondary page is blank and serves as an envelope for the menu. On the back of the secondary page is written, " Norman R. Haskell, Gastronomy, Feby 26, 1892, Prof Mansi."  Measures 14" x / 1/4" (unfolded),8 1/4" x 3 1/2" (folded). The Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute was founded in 1853 by a group of Brooklyn business men and was both a preparatory and collegiate program. These two programs would later separate into the Polytechnic Preparatory Country Day School (also known as Poly Prep), which is still active today and the Polytech Institute of Brooklyn, which in in 2004, would merge with New York University to become the Polytechnic Institute of New York University.
Rebecca Hileman. The 'School Friendship Book' of Rebecca Hileman in High School in Loda. Illinois, 1920-1923. The Reilly & Lee Co.Chicago.1919-1923
The very well documented high school years of Rebecca Hileman from Loda, Illinois are captured as Rebecca filled scores of pages with over 100 photographs of friends and family, name cards, souvenirs of school events, news clippings, letters and more.
Rewards of Merit, Premium Award for Regular Attendance and Good Deportment, 1856. Andrus, Gauntell & Company.Ithaca, NY.1856
A "Premium Award" given a student at public school in Ithica, NY for Regular Attendance and Good Deportment for the past week. The card is sweetly decorcated with both an out border and an inner one around the award. Along with two illustrations of a bust of a man.  The Principle's name, M.R. Barnard, is printed on the bottom right. Measures 3 3/4" x 2 1/4". The front of the card is missing some surface litho, particularly in the center, which makes the student's name hard to make out. The back has a square stain, most likely from past tape.
Synopsis of a Course of Lectures on Anatomy and Surgery.  Magnus Falconar  London 1777
238 pp. marbles cover with leather spine, text interspersed with blank pages. Synopsis describes medical procedures for surgery and the anatomy of the human body. It is separated into four lectures, Introduction to the Study of Anatomy, Osteology, Myology, and Angiology. 8 1/2" x 5" Some missing pages at front, inscribed and has hand written notes, foxing throughout, wear on cover
T.K. Taylor. The Pocket Physician or Domestic Medical Adviser; Designed for both Married & Single; . . Boston. 1852
128 pp. Blue blind stamp gilt cover, 27 page introduction, index in back of book. Common symptoms, and treatments. Contains a catalog of medicines. The book covers very personal ailments and situations such as abortion, masturbation, conception, and menstruation as well as more acceptable discussions as asthma, heartburn, and palpitations. 4 1/2" x 3" some staining on cover, some foxing, spine loosening in areas, hand corrected address on title page and page 98's advertisement for the reader
The Girl's Graduate Journal belonging  to Dorothy Bradford, Class of 1935
The scrap book album belongs to Dorothy Bradford who attended North Central High School, in Spokane, WA. A portion of the album also covers her time at Havermale Junior High School. The first third of the album is full of newspaper clippings dealing with either her or her friends at North Central. The rest of the majority of the album are various pieces of memorabilia, such a programs, greeting cards, cloth sport letters dance cards, and ribbons. There approximately 40 photographs, of which half are head shots of fellow classmates. The rest show her and her friends engaged in a variety of activities, such as musical performances and a 'doll show'. There is one image of Dorothy where she appears to be dressed up as Hitler with the caption "Heil!" underneath. Dorothy was an avid tennis player and was president of the Girls League. She was also a member of the orchestra, which makes sense as her father, Lowell Bradford (who was crippled with infantile paralysis since childhood) was the Musical Director at North Central High School. At the back of the album is a pressed carnation that Dorothy presented to her at a Girls League event. The album itself is a first edition published in 1925 by Reilly & Lee Company in Chicago. It is arranged by Janet Madison and decorate by E. J. McDonald. It is a photographic/scrap book album, with numerous blank pages for its future owners to fill. Blue cloth covers with elaborate gilt floral design and lettering on the front. String-tied binding. Original printed publishers box with a few broken joints. Measures 9" x 8"
The Microscope: Its History, Construction, and Applications.  Jabez Hogg Herbert Ingram and Co London 1855
457 pp. Green blind embossed gilt cover, frontispiece, illustrated with approximately 500 engravings, 15 plates, 23 pages at the end contain advertising. The book contains information about the microscope and the history, use, directions, and specimens. 9" x 5 1/2" Wear on cover, spine has tears, binding broken, some foxing, pages in front loose
The New York Institution for the Instruction of the Deaf and Dumb Circular of President and Directors of the Institution for the Instruction of the Deaf and Dumb.... E. Conrad. .New York, NY.1818
Wraps. A circular that was distributed by the New York Institution for the Deaf and Dumb, and its full title is: "Circular of President and Directors of the Institution for the Instruction of the Deaf and Dumb and the Petition to the Mayor, Aldermen and Commonalty of the City of New York with their Favorable Report and Patronage, &c." It's purpose is to promote and inform the citizens of New York, of both its needs and what had already been done for the school by its Board of Directors and the New York City Legislator. Not a public appeal for donation, but encourages generosity. It begins with the accomplish that was written by Silvanus Miller, Esq.,  stating that the directors of the school were "impelled by a sense of duty, and a desire to promote the welfare of those unfortunate persons committed to their superintending care, to make this appeal to a charitable and benevolent public... deprived of their sense of hearing, and the power of speech, they posses all those sensibilities and affections ... [and] without the fostering care of benevolent instruction, and the steady and kind supervision of endearing friends, these [children] must languish in ignorance, remain the monuments of negligence, of inattention, and oftentimes, of wretchedness." It continues on to describe some of the education these children will receive such as "the two handed alphabet" (sign language), and " the knowledge of connexion [sic], and the significance of the letters, to their uses in spelling and reading, and the power of arithmetical numbers, combinations and actual calculations", along with the belief that these instructions "must be taught early in life." The next part of the circular is the written petition from the school to the legislators of New York City. It draws comparison between London, who had recently funded a school for the Deaf and Dumb, and New York, often calling New York the "London of America". It includes some information on the founding of the school, in the prior year (1817), the current amount of pupils, and their needs. At the end, there is a listing of the resolved items on the petition, in which the legislators agreed to fund $500 towards the school, as well as to fund ten students' tuition costs (not to exceed $40 per student per year), and paid the rent on the school room. It concludes with Board minutes thanking  the legislators for the funding as well as detail the cost of schooling and tuition at the school. OCLC-0 (Aug 2020) 16 pgs. Measures 8" x 5". The school is still in existence today and is in fact known as the second oldest school for the deaf in America. It was renamed at some point to The New York School for the Deaf, and is currently located in White Plains, NY.
Thomas DickThe telescope and MicroscopeAmerican Sunday-School UnionPhiladelphia1851
192 pp. Green paper illustrated cover, some illustrations, monthly series. Part 1: The Telescope, invention of, description, types, uses, parts Part 2: The Microscope, invention of, objects that can be used Mostly text but with occasional diagrams of telescopes or illustrations of items seen under a microscope. 6" x 3 1/4. wear on cover, foxing throughout
Wir lernen die Uhr! (We Learn the Clock). ..1950s
8 pp. Litho on board throughout. German lnaguage. A book that teaches young children how to read the clock. The cover has a clock on it with movable hands, (missing from the book), so they can change the time. The book takes a group of children through their day, and at which time they should get up, get ready, eat breakfast, etc. The illustrations are in color and absolutely charming, in every drawing each child has bright rosy cheeks.Measures 9 1/4" x 7 1/2" . Missing the movable clock hands that attached to the front cover. Minor edge wear due to rubbing. Minor soiling on interior pages.